 Marketplace / Shipping / 336
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 04:02:48 GMT

Torsten Fresemann wrote:

In lugnet.general, Alan Demlow writes:
<snip.
I really don't consider international shipping, at least for smaller packages,
to be such a huge pain, though.  I have a couple of postal scales at home
($10-15 for a 16 oz. scale at Staples--WELL worth the investment!!), and it's
easy enough to find out what something's going to cost by looking it up on the
USPS web site.
Indeed. As a German-based Lego fan, I cannot comprehend what can possibly so
difficult in packing a box, putting it on a scales and looking up the postage
in a booklet or on the website? Or is there more to this over there?

This assumes one has a scale. Making a trip to the Post Office is a pain
for some folks. If you go at lunch, or right when they open, or right
before they close, the lines are often horrid (30-45 minute waits).

The green forms are a pain, yes,
Really? Why?
Contents: Lego toy set(s). value: whatever. gift: yes. signature. done.

My only real problem with the green forms is that many buyers ask me to fill
them out essentially dishonestly--to undervalue things, or to call something a
gift that they're paying cold hardcash for.
What's so wrong about checking the "gift" box? About declaring a lower value,
well, if the consignee accepts the risk of underinsurance, then why not? The
seller has nothing to lose or gain by putting a value which is not the actual
sale price. The customs duties in some countries can make quite a difference.

I find it frustrating that many governments want a piece of the
action on a $25 or $50 sale of toys between private collectors, but I also
You're absolutely right.

think international buyers should either write it off as an unfortunate cost
I disagree - see above.

While as a Libertarian, I disagree with import duties, but then it is
also not my place to violate the laws of your country. Since there is a
possibility that customs agents will seize improperly marked items, I'm
rather unwilling to lie since the possibility is the sender never hears
about it and then I get socked with a complaint about a missing item.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about sending stuff to Italy now that
I see that LEGO is effectively prohibited.

I also do feel that sorry, it is purely the buyer's responsibility to
deal with the import duties, taxes, and fees. If you feel they are
outrageous, then do something about it, don't whine to me.

The one thing I will do is mark items "gift" when they are a trade with
a well known person, but even that is some risk.

picture).  Of course, we Americans are ones to talk--we can import $500 (or
more) worth of Lego without paying a red cent to the customs folks, as
Lucky you... ;-)

Not lucky. We just realize that the more free the market is, the better
things are overall.

Frank