 General / 27122
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:40:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.general, Adam Murtha writes:

And I don't even want to get started on those green forms.  Gift,
merchandise, who really cares anyway.  I still haven't figured out why it's
on there.  Most of the packages I get that are not marked gift, require some
payment to be received from Canada Post, but not all of them for some
reason.  I don't get it.  I just try to avoid buying from the US when possible.

The customs form is a requirement of the US post office in conjunction the the
US Customs Service. How that form is treated on the receiving end (Canada is
this case) is based on Canadian customs/duties laws. In the US, 'Construction
Toys' are not charged an import duty. Canada seems to feel otherwise. If I ship
a package with an incorrectly marked customs form, that would be a 'chargeable
offense' (as someone else pointed out). I believe that this form is an
international requirement under the International Postal Union.

I don't doubt that there are rules and regulations about those forms, and I
don't really want someone to have to deal with being charged with mail
fraud, or whatever that particular crime would be, especially over Lego.

If someone is not happy about the charges, they should take it up with the
customs (or elected) officials in their country, not with the seller. I believe
that Canadian Customs would treat these forms exactly the same regardless of the
originating country (US, England, France, Germany, Japan, Italy, etc).

Ray

I might complain to customs or government or someone if it would be worth
it.  I'm sure Canada Customs, or whoever will say "Since this guy doesn't
like this policy, we'll just get rid of it!"  Not to sound like a jerk, I'm
just saying that I could write letter, call etc.  until the end of time with
no change.
I'd rather just complain on LUGNET about it.  ;-)

-Adam