 Marketplace / Theory / 1902
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:52:21 GMT

Scott E. Sanburn wrote in message
<003b01c08870$56e77d20$98851b26@default>...
Well, I charge flat rate shipping, because I have a hard time trying to
weigh several pieces of LEGO items, the bags, stuffing, and the box, and
trying to get an absolute number to charge. There are several additional
costs to the postage, like those envelopes, which run anywhere from 0.75 to
2.00 each, so that 4.00 you mentioned is justifiable, IMO. There are other

I don't know where you and Rich are getting your padded envelopes, Scott. I
use padded envelopes for anything thin enough to go lettermail (under 20mm
thick) and they cost me 45c CN each - that's 30c US. And I'm not buying them
bulk wholesale either, that's off the shelf at the Staples office supplies
store.

I also shake my head over the several people who complain about estimating
the weight, getting packing materials, filling out forms etc. I ship over
100 packages a month, 95% to the US, and all of them have a customs form on,
a box, packaging material, etc. I don't run to the PO and weigh every
package - most small parts lots come under the Small Packet heading and it's
easy to estimate which weight range they fall into (and if you can't
estimate, kitchen scales do a good job). The only awkward ones are large
sets which come expensive if you get the estimate wrong, those I do weigh.

Understand that I'm not saying US sellers don't have a right to say they
won't sell outside the US. Undoubtedly, they do. But the packing and
weighing and forms issue is a convenience thing only - if you don't feel
like doing it, fine, but don't make it sound like it's some great onerous
thing. I do it every day and it ain't.

And I don't even want to get started on those green forms.  Gift,
merchandise, who really cares anyway.

It is a potential chargable offense, and it is a risk.

Here I agree. I am *really* annoyed by people who assume I am willing to lie
on the customs form for them. Luckily it's not an isse to teh US since
there's no duty on Lego anyway.

Well, the Canadian government is trying to squish out competition and free
trade by putting charges on merchandise that comes in from outside of
Canada.

Nothing to do with competition and free trade. Anything sold to a Canadian
gets GST (=Federal SAles Tax) charged on it (with some exceptions like
food). Lego has no duty charged on it, but Canada Post charges a $5 fee to
collect whatever GST there is owing (very annoying when the GST is only
20c!). Not every package gets this hit, I assume they jst don't notive every
one. Sometimes I get a big package with nothing charged on it, and a small
package and have to pay. Officially US customers are supposed to pay their
State sales tax on stuff they by from out of state, right? (As are Canadians
supposed to self-assess Provincial sales tax, but nobody does...)

The USPS requires custom forms to items to Canada if it is over a
pound. I do not know if it is a Candian or US regulation, I would assume it
is a Canada request.

Canada Post requires a customs form on ANYTHING going to the US which
contains goods. Maybe that's a US request?

Kevin
Victorian House: Limited edition kit
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-vblu.htm
Craftsman Kits & Custom Lego models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com