 Marketplace / Theory / 1905
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:21:00 GMT

Kevin & All,

I don't know where you and Rich are getting your padded envelopes, Scott. • I
use padded envelopes for anything thin enough to go lettermail (under 20mm
thick) and they cost me 45c CN each - that's 30c US. And I'm not buying • them
bulk wholesale either, that's off the shelf at the Staples office supplies
store.

I use the bubble ones, that were the cost difference lies. There has been
enough complaints on the padded ones to make me not use them. They are
cheaper, and less reliable, IMO.

I also shake my head over the several people who complain about estimating
the weight, getting packing materials, filling out forms etc.

Some people have differing opinions, there Kevin. I hear the people that are
complaining are the ones who might have to pay more than the postage.

I ship over
100 packages a month, 95% to the US, and all of them have a customs form • on,
a box, packaging material, etc. I don't run to the PO and weigh every
package - most small parts lots come under the Small Packet heading and • it's
easy to estimate which weight range they fall into (and if you can't
estimate, kitchen scales do a good job). The only awkward ones are large
sets which come expensive if you get the estimate wrong, those I do weigh.

Well, since I don't know what you do, or how you run things, I have to tell
you this: My site processes real time, and once the order is done, that's
it. I can't just say oh the shippings different, I will have to change your
order, etc. My site can handle weight, but since the LEGo items are such a
small weight, and I have no minimum and maximum, it can get tedious trying
to tweak it just right, but it is pretty good now after the first few shaky
months.

Understand that I'm not saying US sellers don't have a right to say they
won't sell outside the US. Undoubtedly, they do. But the packing and
weighing and forms issue is a convenience thing only - if you don't feel
like doing it, fine, but don't make it sound like it's some great onerous
thing. I do it every day and it ain't.

Well, Kevin, I am really happy for you, but it is a little more complicated
for others, so we have a disagreement there. The forms I don't care about
either.

It is a potential chargable offense, and it is a risk.

Here I agree. I am *really* annoyed by people who assume I am willing to • lie
on the customs form for them. Luckily it's not an isse to teh US since
there's no duty on Lego anyway.

Well, yes, doesn't that say something about shipping or not shipping to
other countries?

Nothing to do with competition and free trade. Anything sold to a Canadian
gets GST (=Federal SAles Tax) charged on it (with some exceptions like
food). Lego has no duty charged on it, but Canada Post charges a $5 fee to
collect whatever GST there is owing (very annoying when the GST is only
20c!). Not every package gets this hit, I assume they jst don't notive • every
one. Sometimes I get a big package with nothing charged on it, and a small
package and have to pay. Officially US customers are supposed to pay their
State sales tax on stuff they by from out of state, right? (As are • Canadians
supposed to self-assess Provincial sales tax, but nobody does...)

Depends on other factors in terms of outside the states sales tax, I know we
do in Michigan. I think it is just over regulation, IMO.

The USPS requires custom forms to items to Canada if it is over a
pound. I do not know if it is a Candian or US regulation, I would assume • it
is a Canada request.

Canada Post requires a customs form on ANYTHING going to the US which
contains goods. Maybe that's a US request?

Maybe. I know if it is over a pound, it is required. If it is under, I do
not have too. Maybe it is the USPS.

Scott S.