 Marketplace / Theory / 1903
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Kevin Wilson writes:
I don't know where you and Rich are getting your padded envelopes, Scott. I
use padded envelopes for anything thin enough to go lettermail (under 20mm
thick) and they cost me 45c CN each - that's 30c US. And I'm not buying them
bulk wholesale either, that's off the shelf at the Staples office supplies
store.

I won't speak to the cost of shipping materials issue, other than to say
that it really doesn't make much difference whether it is 30 cents or 3
dollars.  Compared to free, it is more.

I also shake my head over the several people who complain about estimating
the weight, getting packing materials, filling out forms etc. I ship over
100 packages a month, 95% to the US, and all of them have a customs form on,
a box, packaging material, etc. I don't run to the PO and weigh every

That's a key difference.  95 of your 100 packages are to the US, where
you're dealing with the same rates to pretty much get it to someone in one
state as another.  For me to switch back to shipping all over the world I
wouldn't have the luxury of shipping 95/100 of my international packages to
one country.  Some would go to Canada, some to Italy, some to England, and
so on.

You'd be foolish (financially) to ignore the US buying market.  You just
can't say that I'm foolish to ignore the market outside of the US.  You'd be
ignoring 95% of your market - I might be ignoring 2% of mine.

Understand that I'm not saying US sellers don't have a right to say they
won't sell outside the US. Undoubtedly, they do. But the packing and
weighing and forms issue is a convenience thing only - if you don't feel
like doing it, fine, but don't make it sound like it's some great onerous
thing. I do it every day and it ain't.

Well, again, you *have* to do it to serve the bulk of your buyers.  It
doesn't seem onerous to you.  But when I can sell to 98% of my buyers
without filling out a single form, without consulting some odd tables and
trying to figure out if this box's dimensions bump it into the next rate
level, and so on, doing those things for a $10 order DOES seem onerous in
comparison.