 Off-Topic / Debate / 9113
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:23:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

My business ships internationally, only because I know many people like it.
However, it does involve more risk, more money, and more time. The United
States Postal Service has decent service to other US sites, but when it
starts going to other countries around the world, there are several other
factors to consider. I had a shipment that went to Venezula, I bought a few
sets for a good customer I have down there, and ended up losing it, costing
me around $200.00. I cannot get insurance for that country, so I am flat out
that money. If I shipped it inside the US, I could have gotten insurance for
it. The Venezulan post office is not very good, according to my customer.

It also involves customs, customs forms in some cases, and generally, a
deeper, more frustrating experience.

Ugh! Those forms!!! So many times (when I *was* selling internationally), I'd
be asked to put "gift" and value of $20 on $60 order. I did it, but hated it,
and generally felt pretty icky about doing it.

I ditto the points Dan, Maggie and Mark made.

Julie

If you want people to change their
minds about this, buy from venders that do ship internationally, build up a
reputation, and maybe e-mail sellers that don't to consider you, and see if
they might accomodate you. Making generalities, psudo-swearing, and insults
does not produce anything good, IMHO.

FUT shipping practices, market views:-> lugnet.market.shipping,
lugnet.market.theory
Debate points:> lugnet.off.topic.debate

Sincerely,
Scott S.