 General / 27132
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:02:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Alan Demlow writes:
<snip.
I really don't consider international shipping, at least for smaller packages,
to be such a huge pain, though.  I have a couple of postal scales at home
($10-15 for a 16 oz. scale at Staples--WELL worth the investment!!), and it's
easy enough to find out what something's going to cost by looking it up on the
USPS web site.
Indeed. As a German-based Lego fan, I cannot comprehend what can possibly so
difficult in packing a box, putting it on a scales and looking up the postage
in a booklet or on the website? Or is there more to this over there?

The green forms are a pain, yes,
Really? Why?
Contents: Lego toy set(s). value: whatever. gift: yes. signature. done.

My only real problem with the green forms is that many buyers ask me to fill
them out essentially dishonestly--to undervalue things, or to call something a
gift that they're paying cold hardcash for.
What's so wrong about checking the "gift" box? About declaring a lower value,
well, if the consignee accepts the risk of underinsurance, then why not? The
seller has nothing to lose or gain by putting a value which is not the actual
sale price. The customs duties in some countries can make quite a difference.

I find it frustrating that many governments want a piece of the
action on a $25 or $50 sale of toys between private collectors, but I also
You're absolutely right.

think international buyers should either write it off as an unfortunate cost
I disagree - see above.

picture).  Of course, we Americans are ones to talk--we can import $500 (or
more) worth of Lego without paying a red cent to the customs folks, as
Lucky you... ;-)

compared to 15% or so on merchandise items valued above DM50 sent to Germany,
Upto a declared value of DM 100 there's no duty.
Upto a declared value of DM 700 you have to pay a duty of 13.5%.
Above DM 700 the duty is 3.5% in addition to VAT of 16%.

and whatever the costs are in Canada (equally painful, if I recall
correctly--especially with the automatic CND5 "service charge" or whatever
they call it just to look at your package).
Indeed, I did not know this, but what a rip-off.

I'll also point out that US sellers aren't the only ones who won't ship
internationally.  Having bought stuff from ebay.de a number of times, I know
there are sellers there who only want to ship to Germany.  Same problem for
them as for us--it's not a German-centric view of the universe that makes them
want to only sell their goods in Germany, but rather their desire not to deal
with the extra trouble and risk of international transactions.  I've found
True, but do consider the language issue. As a buyer you choose yourself to bid
on a US seller's item, whereas the foreign seller wishing to post only
nationally cannot keep a US or whatever buyer from bidding.

On the flip side, I've usually had very good experiences with international
buyers--they usually realize it takes a little extra work on my part and put
in the extra effort to match.
Indeed. I suppose the time issue is really what keeps most sellers from selling
beyond their own borders.

Regards,
Torsten