 General / 27118
Re: 'Will ship to United States only - Oi!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:37:18 GMT

Odd...just today I received a registered letter from Japan, and have in the
past from other countries as well (Estonia comes to mind, off hand).  Had to go
to the post office and sign for it since I'm not home when they deliver.  I
know that the USPS has different agreements with different international postal
services on issues like money orders as well--it must be that the USPS and the
British post don't see eye to eye on how to handle registered mail, because it
certainly appears that the USPS doesn't have a blanket policy against accepting
international registered mail.

Greetings,

Alan

The interesting thing is, that whilst many of the replies to this have
defended the USA postal service (words like 'Guaranteed'), it is
disappointing that they do not seem to support any registered/recorded mail
services coming in from overseas.

I have shipped lego to several countries that support registered mail that
ensures the reciever signs for it, and I get a tracking number from the UK
post office that enables me to follow its progress. This is for standard
registered mail, not some expensive courier service. Except I cant do this
when sending to the USA.

I cant confess to knowing that every country except the USA supports this,
but it is interesting that the USA is singled out on the UK post office web
site as the one country that doesnt.

regards
lawrence