 Marketplace / Theory / 1913
Re: what do people think of custom models on ebay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:10:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Buiting writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

I am curious as I was thinking of selling my Pirate collection using the MOC
approach as I have some incomplete sets which when combined to extend a
complete one would make a nice, and seamingly more valuable, MOC.

How about breaking up the incomplete sets and sell the parts at Brickbay?

That's a valid approach. It MAY get you better returns, but is more work.

   The best option for Pirate parts, IMHO, is breaking them
   up and eBaying the parts (if you want dollar return).  A
   hull, for example, will get you from $20 to $35, depending
   on size, colour, and condition.

There *is* a market for custom models (GoB does quite well) and the pirate
area is underserved currently, so try it first. If you don't get the prices
you want, then go the breakup route.

   I don't want to be a naysayer, so I won't be, I'll merely
   "modify" this sentiment so I can me-too it.  IMHO creating
   an MOC to sell the way that Lawrence W. suggests is a little
   different than what GoB does.  I doubt (but will not assume)
   that he doesn't have enough pieces to build 10 of something,
   which IIRC is the rough "break point" that makes the ancillary
   work required to market models of GoB calibre worthwhile (and
   which I would guess contributes significantly to their recognised
   value on the open market).

   In the case of Lawrence W., the question might boil down to
   "are the pieces worth more arrayed out on a white sheet and
   photographed, or are they worth more built into some sort of
   custom vessel?"  This does depend on the parts, but I know
   that when I see clearly that a certain piece I want is in a
   certain Pirates lot, I'm willing to go a lot higher for it.
   YMMV.

   (Alternately, you can find someone itching to play the Pirate
   Game and sell it on .market.b-s-t...)

   best

   Lindsay

   XFUT-> .market.theory