 LEGO Company / 1128
Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:44:51 GMT

Jake,

When running these types of surveys, it might help to run them in two phases,
due to the way you ask people to add their own responses.

For instance, under "castle" your survey then goes on to ask "what type", and
gave the options "Black Knights", "Lord of the Rings", "Fantasy theme like
centaurs, dwarfs, mythical animals", "Ninja", and "King Leo's Castle", plus the
add your own option.  Imagine six people vote.  I added something like "modular
castles (see 80's sets)", but suppose someone else added "sets like 6041" and
another person said "sets in the style of Legoland Castle", and another person
said "Things like the Guarded Inn".  We'd all be asking for essentially the same
thing, but if two people voted for "Ninja", it would look like more people want
Ninja than anything else.

In my suggestion, there'd be two phases to a survey like this.  In the first you
would ask for people's suggestions.  Then, someone goes through those and
combines the nearly identical ones above into one category.  In the second
phase, then, the voting is more concentrated, because all of the people above
end up voting for the same thing, and it becomes more meaningful data.  Of
course this requires that someone goes through and does the job of combining,
and someone will always object that the combined categories don't completely fit
their suggested category.

Another thing on the survey.  It is not clear whether you mean what old set
would we like rereleased as a Legend, or just general suggestions on future
directions in what kinds of sets we want.

Bruce