 LEGO Company / 1216
Re: More opinions needed - possible future Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:04:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jason Catena wrote:
IIRC, VW stopped making the old Beetle in 1978.

They stopped production in Germany at that time, but they didn't stop production
entirely.  They'd still be making them in Mexico if it wasn't for the government
working to phase out 2-door taxi cabs, and reducing tarrifs on imports (after
all, now you can buy an imported 4-door with AC and airbags for about the same
price as a domesticly produced original Beetle).

The factory I think you're referring to is one in Mexico. Local managers
bought it from the company, since there was a mucher higher demand there
than elsewhere for the bug.

The Puebla, Mexico plant is still run by Volkswagon.  They still produce the
Jetta and the new Beetle.  I'm not sure where you heard that they sold off the
plant.