 General / 47160

Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 15:22:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello!

Good news – based on the discussions and debates, many colleagues are clear that
the color change dramatically affected the AFOLs. They are also clearly aware of
the reasons it has upset you. In order to help address some of your concerns,
several things have been agreed upon.

Fine. Becoming aware of something usually is a good first step into a better
direction.

* The three new colors (light gray, dark gray, brown) will now be classified as
"universal", and these colors will NEVER be touched again. There will, of
course, be colors that change over time with trends, but not these universal
ones.

Yeah, great! We (the AFOLs) fight against those new colours and you (TLC) make
them even more solid and declare them made for eternity? Calling that "good
news" is sheer sneer, isn't it?

Bye
Jojo

In lugnet.general, Johannes Koehler wrote:
Hello!

Good news – based on the discussions and debates, many colleagues are clear that
the color change dramatically affected the AFOLs. They are also clearly aware of
the reasons it has upset you. In order to help address some of your concerns,
several things have been agreed upon.

Fine. Becoming aware of something usually is a good first step into a better
direction.

...and ensuring issues like this don't happen again.

* The three new colors (light gray, dark gray, brown) will now be classified as
"universal", and these colors will NEVER be touched again. There will, of
course, be colors that change over time with trends, but not these universal
ones.

Yeah, great! We (the AFOLs) fight against those new colours and you (TLC) make
them even more solid and declare them made for eternity? Calling that "good
news" is sheer sneer, isn't it?

Only if you choose to view it that way. (I tend to be a "on the bright side...."
kind of guy) To me, this is the AFOLs saying something (we're upset that things
changed suddenly), and the company reacting ( locking these new colors so that
you feel confident that we aren't going to change them again, and never again,
will we make changes like this without AFOL input)

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Re: Color Change - Final Update
Only if you choose to view it that way. (I tend to be a "on the bright side...."
kind of guy) To me, this is the AFOLs saying something (we're upset that things
changed suddenly), and the company reacting ( locking these new colors so that
you feel confident that we aren't going to change them again, and never again,
will we make changes like this without AFOL input)

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

With all due respect, Jake, this doesn't make me feel better.  Saying 'Oops,
it'll never happen again' doesn't really mean anything to me, because the change
has already happened.  If LEGO changes the colors again, what do I care, I don't
plan to have a huge number of the new grey bricks anyway, another change to a
third color won't affect me.

However, again with all due respect, nothing against you, Jake, changing back
the colors and THEN saying 'Oops, it'll never happen again' would have meaning,
would have value, and would build goodwill between LEGO and the AFOL community.

At least that's my opinion.

--Anthony

Re: Color Change - Final Update
However, again with all due respect, nothing against you, Jake, changing back
the colors and THEN saying 'Oops, it'll never happen again' would have meaning,
would have value, and would build goodwill between LEGO and the AFOL community.

At least that's my opinion.

And so is mine. Thanks, Anthony!

Bye
Jojo

Re: Color Change - Final Update
Yeah, great! We (the AFOLs) fight against those new colours and you (TLC) make
them even more solid and declare them made for eternity? Calling that "good
news" is sheer sneer, isn't it?

Only if you choose to view it that way. (I tend to be a "on the bright side...."
kind of guy) To me, this is the AFOLs saying something (we're upset that things
changed suddenly), and the company reacting ( locking these new colors so that
you feel confident that we aren't going to change them again, and never again,
will we make changes like this without AFOL input)

It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

     Dave!

Re: Color Change - Final Update
It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

Ah, good to see you finally "noticed the color change". ;^)

Re: Color Change - Final Update
It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

Ah, good to see you finally "noticed the color change". ;^)

Doh!  Uh, well, er, I just, um, wanted to stay current re: LEGO developments.

Hey, you're supposed to be in ot.debate!  What are you doing here?

Dave!

Re: Color Change - Final Update
It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

Wow. That's harsh.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

Re: Color Change - Final Update
It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

Wow. That's harsh.

Heh.

Well, what can I say?  I tend to be an "on the dark side" kind of guy...

Harsh, perhaps--but is my assessment inaccurate?  Aside from the bottom line,
corporations love nothing as much as preserving wiggle room.

Dave!

Re: Color Change - Final Update
It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

Wow. That's harsh.

Heh.

Well, what can I say?  I tend to be an "on the dark side" kind of guy...

Harsh, perhaps--but is my assessment inaccurate?  Aside from the bottom line,
corporations love nothing as much as preserving wiggle room.

I suppose, you could be right, but I think it misses the entire point of why we
would ask for feedback in the first place. Why would we even bother to ask if we
didn't think we would somehow use it? The point of us agreeing to include AFOLs
was to avoid another situation like we've had here.

Of course, that said, sure, we might not follow your feedback 100%. After all,
there's always multiple things to consider. If we'd listened only to AFOLs about
Bionicle, we'd have never moved forward with a much loved, incredibly cool
product.

Corporations are not big Matrix-like computers. Corporations are made up of
people. In fact, I'd guess that a huge percentage of people reading this now are
doing so from work at a "corporation". We're trying to do good things here
folks. There are real people behind the decisions and changes that are made. You
may not like them, you may not agree with them, some will fail and some will
succeed. But at the end of the day, the motivations are driven more by people
trying to do good. Good for the company, for the consumer, and for themselves.

Jake

---