 General / 47252
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 21:25:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I know this change is not welcomed, and was implemented poorly (see apology
above). But since we can't turn back time, and since the change is here to stay,
let's focus on the best way to ease into the transition.

*Is that by "locking" certain key parts in old colors for the forseeable future?
*Is that by focusing on getting wider access to the new colors?
*Is it by some other concept?

I'm honestly looking for your feedback on this issue. I'm asking what YOU think
is the best way to ease into the switch over.

Jake

Jake,
I for one really appreciate the considerable effort by yourself and LEGO in
listening and responding to the feedback from a small group of consumers. I hope
the negative responses here don't adversely affect future LEGO community
interaction.

Here is my short list of suggestions for moving forward, in order matching your
question above:

1. Let the AFOL community know what colors are "locked" forevermore and will not
change (barring unforseen circumstances with vendors, etc). This will provide a
sense of stability that appears to have eroded recently.

2. LEGO providing cost-effective bulk product in the new colors in some manner
(tubs or whatever) with at least a minimum of bricks, plates, slopes, and some
specialty pieces (see http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=47229);

3. Other things: a definitive answer on why the change was made. I'm sure it's a
combination of factors: focus group discoveries, material cost, quality, vendor
or supply issues, matching competition, focusing on the future, and so on. As
detailed an explanation as possible would go a long way toward at least getting
understanding if not acceptance in the AFOL community.

4. Make a silk purse out of a perceived sow's ear by touting the change rather
than appearing to slide something in below consumer radar. "LEGO Blahblah: Now
With New Brighter Colors!" If this is a good change from the consumer point of
view, it has value in being advertised.

I'm sure there won't be a lot of agreement here with my fourth suggestion, but
from a larger viewpoint it defuses any quality control issues that could pop up
because of the change.

- Kelly