 General / 47292
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 01:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

Yeah, great! We (the AFOLs) fight against those new colours and you (TLC) make
them even more solid and declare them made for eternity? Calling that "good
news" is sheer sneer, isn't it?

Only if you choose to view it that way. (I tend to be a "on the bright side...."
kind of guy) To me, this is the AFOLs saying something (we're upset that things
changed suddenly), and the company reacting ( locking these new colors so that
you feel confident that we aren't going to change them again, and never again,
will we make changes like this without AFOL input)

It might be worth noting that this doesn't suggest that TLG will actually take
AFOL input into consideration--merely that TLG won't make the change without
AFOL input.  The input might easily be ignored, but TLG can still claim to have
accepted AFOL input...

     Dave!

I don't agree with that statement.   It clearly means that AFOL input WILL be
taken into consideration.   Clearly that does not mean that TLG won't make
changes contradictory to the wishes of the AFOL community... nor should it.
TLG will make its decision based on its best understanding and judgement of
what is best for TLG.  It seems to me that maintaining the current "new"
colours is a good example of this.  It appears to me that TLG has re-reviewed
this decision based on our retrospective input and demands (and... I'm sorry
to say constant threats and non-constructive complaints as well).  It would
also appear that they made a decision to stick with the new colours.   I am
fairly confident they did this believing it to be a wise business decision.
(Yes... time will ultimately tell whether or not the decision was indeed wise).

Now... in my own personal opinion... I really enjoy building.  Lego gives me
and my son the ability to do that together.  I am more concerned with the
juniorization and (seeming) lowering of quality standards of the newer kits
than with the colours themselves.  Perhaps, as a community, we should try
and provide input and guidance to TLG on how and what we would like to see in
the future so their strategy can reflect our wishes (again... should it make
business sense to do so).

- Jeff