 General / 47317
Colour change: The best way to screw the Lego values
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 10:44:11 GMT

Jake,

Again, it is not against you but those who made the decision.

Jake McKee wrote:
First off, when did I (or anyone from LEGO) ever previously say we were locking
colors and no changes would ever be made? I don't recall ever having done that.
And I'm not sure our corporate values make any stance about never changing our
core system in any way. (In fact, if they did, since the values were developed
well before the LEGO system, we wouldn't have a LEGO system at all)
Just for reference, freshly from the lego.com site:
   "Quality for the LEGO Company is about product quality, ethical values
   and a consistency in all of our actions that engenders an ongoing
   feeling of trust." (www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=values)
"product quality", "consistency". I can't imagine a more creative way to
screw these values than the colour change did.

OK, I have to tell you, this frustrates me a bit. Because we have maintained our
decision and not backed away from it, you are saying that we aren't learning
anything?
Yes, of course. Thats *exactly* the point of the whole discussion. (Now
this is directed at you, Jake: do you really not understand this?)

Despite having announced several things this morning that very very
clearly show that not only have we a) admitted the mistake (repeatedly), b)
taken actions to avoid these mistakes in the future, and c) announced these
intentions publicly in writing, we are still "slapping" you on the face?
If I write a program (or do whatever...), and I make a mistake, I do not
just say to the customer "Well, yes, it's a mistake, and we won't repeat
it.". I fix it!

Then in an effort to ensure that you (the AFOLs) are completely informed and
kept in the loop on on what's going on, we are "slapping" you again??
Not by keeping us informed. Only by the decision itself.

Honestly, I think that approaching this as "LEGO has slapped the AFOL" is
completely off base. That makes it sound like we purposely went out of our way
to upset the AFOLs. Nothing is further from the truth!
Maybe this was not out of purpose. It's a punch in the face nontheless,
and hurts like one.

Let me, once again, say this very clearly so that no one can ever say LEGO
hasn't apologize for the problems.
And this is going to help us how?

====
Representing the LEGO Company, I apologize for a poor implementation of a major
change. We made a mistake in the way that this change was made, and we are
taking all efforts to ensure we don't end up in this same situation again.
====
And did a big mistake by just cementing, not fixing the first mistake. I
just can't believe corporate stupidity and stubbornness.

Now, from your Marklin example, they made the change, and they did it in a way
that made it easier for their hobbyists to make the switch. I've been asking
for, digging for, and trying to pry info from the global AFOL community about
the best way, moving forward, to ease this transition.

I know this change is not welcomed, and was implemented poorly (see apology
above). But since we can't turn back time, and since the change is here to stay,
let's focus on the best way to ease into the transition.

*Is that by "locking" certain key parts in old colors for the forseeable future?
*Is that by focusing on getting wider access to the new colors?
*Is it by some other concept?

I'm honestly looking for your feedback on this issue. I'm asking what YOU think
is the best way to ease into the switch over.
Jake, your company is heading full speed into a dead end. There is no
real way to ease the pain of the transition except by taking it back.

Sorry.

Christian Treczoks