 General / 47260
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 22:19:04 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:

OK, I have to tell you, this frustrates me a bit. Because we have
maintained our decision and not backed away from it, you are saying that
we aren't learning anything? Despite having announced several things this
morning that very very clearly show that not only have we a) admitted the
mistake (repeatedly), b) taken actions to avoid these mistakes in the
future, and c) announced these intentions publicly in writing, we are
still "slapping" you on the face?

Read Jojo's statement, that's pretty much my point of view as well...

Look at how for instance model railroading companies introduce changes.
Marklin decided to stop making the old Marklin M track (the metal
bedding) around 1990 if memory serves me correct. However the supplies
lasted for several more years, solutions were introduced so people could
transfer gradually etc etc.

So they still made the change, right? They made the change, but they did
it in a way that is more acceptable to you, right? Let's focus on the
productive and talk about ways to ease our transition.

They managed to back it up with reasonable facts and managed to convince
people it was a better product (and at a similair price level, which in
that case was important too)

*Is that by "locking" certain key parts in old colors for the forseeable
future? *Is that by focusing on getting wider access to the new colors?
*Is it by some other concept?
I'm honestly looking for your feedback on this issue. I'm asking what YOU
think is the best way to ease into the switch over.

Sorry but I see no way, apart from keeping the old next to the new. If you
keep making parts a and b but not c at some point we'll run out of c and
the problem is back. And the longer this goes on, the worse it actually
gets, as many of us have very much changing needs and since various stock
slowly dwindles down. The transition to click hinges have already caused me
enough frustration :( (I hate them, sorry but I can't descibe it
otherwise... set 4512 being the prime example of all that's bad about them)

Now purely my point of view

- Don't bother with packs of the new colors, waiste of SKU's which I'd
rather see appear in old colors. I won't buy ANY new colors (so if there
will be more Adventurers/Orient Expedition sets, I'll just accept the fact
that I'm incomplete, same with Designer, already replaced the parts from
the X-Pods with "proper colors" and won't be buying more 2004 stuff with
new greys.
- If you want to keep doing old colors, a minimum in terms of parts would
be:
* all 1*n and 2*n plates + bricks
* 4*n and 6*n plates, L-plates, plates without corner, wedge plates/bricks
* slopes, normal in 33,45 and 75, as well as inverse 33 and 45 degrees.
With convex/concave and top pieces
* hinges, clips, SNOT converters, centerstud tiles, brackets
* all tile sizes
* train track remains darkgrey
* 48*48 baseplates remain old grey (although that might be a problem for
normal retail again....)
* windows/doors
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/