 General / 47259
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 22:10:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

<<snipped>>

So they still made the change, right? They made the change, but they did it in a
way that is more acceptable to you, right? Let's focus on the productive and
talk about ways to ease our transition.

Let me, once again, say this very clearly so that no one can ever say LEGO
hasn't apologize for the problems.

====
Representing the LEGO Company, I apologize for a poor implementation of a major
change. We made a mistake in the way that this change was made, and we are
taking all efforts to ensure we don't end up in this same situation again.
====

Let me say seeing this apology shows this AFOL that Lego does care about us.

Now, from your Marklin example, they made the change, and they did it in a way
that made it easier for their hobbyists to make the switch. I've been asking
for, digging for, and trying to pry info from the global AFOL community about
the best way, moving forward, to ease this transition.

I know this change is not welcomed, and was implemented poorly (see apology
above). But since we can't turn back time, and since the change is here to stay,
let's focus on the best way to ease into the transition.

*Is that by "locking" certain key parts in old colors for the forseeable future?

No doubt there.  The parts packs being offered now are a very good start IMO.
By "locking" in certain parts in old colors I'm given a feeling of security that
I will be able to get my hands on parts I may need in the future, be it one year
or five from now.  (I was at LLCA's PAB the other day and seeing a sign marked
"discontinued colors" was not a pleasant thing.)

*Is that by focusing on getting wider access to the new colors?

At first, I felt a bit uneasy about the tub idea for bringing the new colors to
market but was suddenly struck by one of those "duh" moments.  The AFOL
community of 2004 is certainly not the same as that of 1994.  If this were 1994,
I'd say I would have been screwed (after all, I didn't know other AFOLs or had
access to the web) but it's not.  I have the option in this day and age of
getting together with others and trade my "new" with someone who would like to
get rid of their "old". Sure, it's not perfect but an option.

Having both a "new" color and "old" color tubs on the market should be done with
caution- like make it as clear as possible to the consumer that he/she is buying
the "new" or the "old".

*Is it by some other concept?

Well, as some have already mentioned, if packets of parts used for detailing are
looked into then getting those who are "in the know" when it comes to using them
in themes like space, castle, town, train, etc. should play a role in what those
packs come with.

Something else also came to mind.  I remember reading something about LEGO
wanting to get out of the lincensing market and go back to traditional lines.
Maybe these tubs could play a part in doing so.

I'm honestly looking for your feedback on this issue. I'm asking what YOU think
is the best way to ease into the switch over.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison