 General / 47449
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 14:45:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
-snippage-
   Maybe I should spin this around and ask the AFOLs to answer this: What can I do to “prove” that we are listening?

Jake, I’ve resisted jumping in and flogging the dead horse, but I also want to add my voice to the chorus. Sorry - this isn’t as organized as I would like, but I have tired-head.

You don’t need to prove that you’re listening, that’s obvious; you need to prove you’re understanding.

The way it strikes me, personally, is that LEGO is being insincere, and somewhat two-faced. We get word of a color change from a fan, not the company. AFOL public opinion runs wildly against the color change. LEGO addresses the AFOL community somewhat, says they’re listening, but the color change is permanent, etc. Then, they decide to offer a limited run of some parts in the old colors. Now we hear the new colors (and others) are “almost certainly” (or whatever words you used to that effect) not going to change, but that LEGO wants to know what parts we really, really want in the old colors.

I strongly disagree with the color change, and I don’t really believe the reasons being given are 100% of the reason the change was made. I could live with it and move on. But the fact that LEGO keeps demonstrating that they could make elements in the old colors (and will make some elements in them), but chooses not to, in the face of strong demand from a vocally loyal market segment, is infuriating.

As an AFOL, I now see LEGO in a much more cynical light than I did before. I truly believe that the old colors will come back in a “limited edition” or “classic colors” sense so that LEGO can charge a premium, or in some way other than in the standard product stream. We will wind up paying more for old colors, because LEGO now sees the demand. You (LEGO) realize that the only segment of the market that really cares about the colors happens to be the one with jobs, so why not charge a bit more - after all, it’s a “limited run.”

James Wilson
Dallas, TX
Lugnet Member #1783