 General / 47236
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 20:17:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

Harsh, perhaps--but is my assessment inaccurate?  Aside from the bottom line,
corporations love nothing as much as preserving wiggle room.

I suppose, you could be right, but I think it misses the entire point of why we
would ask for feedback in the first place. Why would we even bother to ask if we
didn't think we would somehow use it? The point of us agreeing to include AFOLs
was to avoid another situation like we've had here.

I should take a moment to thank you for your courtesy in addressing my concerns,
since I flatter myself to think that you might know my MO here on LUGNET, so I'm
hardly the biggest income source for TLG.  Thank you.

I don't mean to lay a big anti-corporate screed on you, either, except to voice
my concern that companies always work to improve profits; if that coincides with
increased customer satisfaction, great.  If not, it's no big deal, as long as
profits are satisfactorily maintained.  I don't think corporations should even
be criticized for this, unless they use deceptive means to get there (and some
may disagree with me even on that count).

So to answer the current question, if TLG solicits and ignores AFOL input, then
TLG can still claim that it took input from adult fans of the brand.  Sure, that
might annoy the AFOL's who feel ignored, but if the "working with the customer"
angle boosts sales overall, then TLG's margin is served.

Of course, that said, sure, we might not follow your feedback 100%.

That explains why you guys never listened to me, way back here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=7342
but I keep hoping.

After all, there's always multiple things to consider. If we'd listened only
to AFOLs about Bionicle, we'd have never moved forward with a much loved,
incredibly cool product.

Conversely, if you'd listened to AFOL's you wouldn't have bothered with Galidor,
for example.  But I understand your point.

Corporations are not big Matrix-like computers. Corporations are made up of
people. In fact, I'd guess that a huge percentage of people reading this now are
doing so from work at a "corporation".

I'm one of them, which is why I'm hyper-sensitive to what I perceive as
corporate spin.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply so thoroughly and patiently.

Dave!