 CAD / 16368
16367  |  16369
Subject:
New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:35:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks,

working on and off for almost a year with Scott Wardlaw, Alex Taylor and with
the help from Joshua Delahunty we put together a new LDConfig file which
hopefully fills in where the old version failed:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=15477&t=i&v=a

The file has the following characteristics:

* 100% backwards compatible with the old LDConfig.ldr file
http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/ldconfig.ldr
* Uses LEGO RGB values
* Uses LEGO numbering where possible
* Lists the matched LEGO name
* Uses Bricklink names
* Contains all colors currently listed at Bricklink
* Colors are listed in alphabetical order
* New color definitions for "Glitter" and "Speckle" as defined by the LSC

The following sources have been used to create the file:

New RGB Shadow color values provided by the LEGO Group
http://www.ldraw.org/Article93.html
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp?v=0&itemType=P&itemNo=
http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~dulcaoin/LEGO/LEGO-Color-Chart.pdf
http://www.isodomos.com/ColorTree
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi

A beta version of the file can be found at:

http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LDConfig.ldr

while a Wiki version showing also the colors is stored at:

http://www.ldraw.org/wiki/index.php/LDConfig.ldr

Before going public we have asked some programmers for feedback. Most concerns
were rose about the transparent color values. Be sure we used the Shadow colors
provided by the LEGO Group. Shadow colors are not the RGB values used for the
molds but are representations of those colors used in the company's system.
Question is:

Shall we restore the historical LDraw colors for the range from 0 to 50 since
the new colors look unnatural and washed out? This has to discussed before we
officially ship the new file with the 02-2009 parts update.

Another issue is consistency. While some programs of the LDraw System of Tools
already support the LDConfig.ldr file and use it instead of an inbuild color
system some don't. In order to keep the colors consistent throughout the LDraw
System of Tools it would be desirable to have all programs switch to the
LDConfig file.

In no way we are going to allowed that progs set a new color as it has happened
in the past:

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30367ps1.dat

We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors (perfect would be to leave the choice to the
user). You'll also find a list with the original TGL numbers moved to a 3xxxx
range. In no way have the TGL numbers to be mixed with LDraw colors. Also the
comments where we matched the TLG numbers to LDraw colors should be hidden from
the final user.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

w.