Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:10:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Allen Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I’m not sure that helps me any. If I can’t remember the number for a color, I’d rather they were clustered by basic color first, then alphabetically by the actual name. Like this:

Green: Bright Green
Green: Dark Green
Green: Earth Green

If I can’t have something like that, I’d rather just sort by number.

I think group sub-sorting might be more trouble than it’s worth. Editors can just sort the colors by Hue-Saturation-Brightness. That’s what Bricksmith does. It’s a simple mathematical transformation.

Now that’s what I’m talking about! I just didn’t say it right. ;) If you’re not going to list the colors in ldconfig.ldr sorted by number then pick a useful ordering like Hue-Saturation-Brightness. Alphabetic order is not much better than random.

By the way, what’s up with the grays in the bricksmith list? Not pure enough to get placed near the top of the list between black and white? Is there any way to tweak that?

Allen