Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Roland Melkert wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Roland Melkert wrote:
About the >=30000 range, most current applications only allow upto 511 or 1023
for 'normal color numbers'. There are also some (unofficial?) reserved hex
spaces for encoded rgb values (#02000000..#03FFFFFF and 04000000..#07FFFFFF).

Taking this into account I would also suggest using a hex range for these lc
core colors, so the color decoder code in any program can identify them a such
e.g (#400..#EFF (1024..3839)).

This can be done with the caveat that we start with something like say 2001 or
3001 in order to preserve the original LEGO numbering starting from 1 to 300.
for 2001 the TLG color number would be "#7D1". Correct?

w.

Indeed, basically it doesn't matter what range you use. I just wanted to point
out that 'other' ranges are rounded upon hexadecimal notation (due to math
advantages). So I suggested also using that for these new ldc numbers for
consistency sake.

But human wise 2015 would be more recognizable than #40F (if #400..#EFF would be
used) I guess.

I do think there should be an official 'normal' color ceiling defined by
ldraw.org though. Just like the now (unofficial) 512 ceiling.

I chose 30000 as the base for TLG colors for a couple reasons:

a) when the parts were renumbered internally around 1968 or so, they started
with 3001 for the 2x4 brick and built from there. Around 1994, numbering shifted
again.  The numbers up to 10000 (where the old documentation codes had started)
had been used, so they started at 30000 and built upwards. It seemed a nice nod
to history to use a number starting with 30xx (or in this case 30xxx)

b) subtract 30000, and you have the TLG color number, nothing else fancy to do
to convert

c) 3000 seemed too low to leave enough room for a "ceiling" for LDRAW colors.

So far we have much more TLC color numbers than in LDraw (Bricklink) with TLC
apparently not going further than 300. Therefore a numbering starting with 3000
would be fine.

w.