Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:36:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
I'm fairly certain, after a lot of use and experimentation, that the
RGB values supplied (which came originally from LEGO Digital
Designer) work correctly as swatches, rather than object-generation
colors.  They've basically been "pre-lightened" to match the
apparent look of a part held up to the page.  When LDView
(specifically) generates images based on these, it does so with
OpenGL, and the apparent light that's allowed to "shine through"
causes the colors to look even further lighter (about twice lighter
than the base color, spoken subjectively).

My experiments have show that (for instance with Blue), if one takes
the transparent color and darkens it by about 2x, one comes up with
something very close to the original color (here, blue) hex value,
and then when the color is used in a model in LDView, the result is
a lot closer to what one would expect to see.

So, if I take an Aquazone windshield (say), and hold it up against
my PDF, printed out, the Transparent Blue (43) looks about right
next to the plastic.  But if I generate an image of that windshield
with LDView on a white background on the monitor, it looks far too
light.  If I then change 30043's color to one much closer to blue's
(23), then LDView's image looks much better next to "the real
thing."

I'm guessing that LDD looks at the transparency bit, and adjusts the
colors accordingly so it doesn't "double whammy" the lightening of
transparent colors.  Either that logic could be moved to the apps in
question (yeah, I'm laughing myself at such a suggestion), or the
trans colors might be offset by a given ratio to adjust them better.

So is it possible to save a version of LDView's lighting parameters so
that it defaults to colors that look right when using this
ldconfig.ldr file?  If so, then I'd like to suggest putting some
comments at the top of the file mentioning this, and possibly even
listing the proper settings for LDView and any other programs that
are capable of adjusting their lighting settings.

Also, maybe now is the time to suggest standardizing some meta commands
for default lighting parameters to go with the default colors.

Don