Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:37:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Eric Albrecht wrote:
   Thanks for the explanation. Since my computer at work (which I am using) is a high end CAD workstation with enough VRAM to display a billion polygons, I guess I should just leave it on HIGH! On my home machine, I will probably slow it down.

It may be able to display a billion polygons, but it certainly can’t keep a billion unique polygons in video memory. Each unique point requires a bare minimum of 12 bytes, and usually requires more than that (for color/texture info). The indexes into the point list used to draw the polygon are usually 2 or 4 byte integers, so that’s either 2 or 4 more bytes per point. Even with a fully connected triangular mesh, you’re talking about 1 point and 3 indexes per triangle. (You can draw in other modes that use less memory, but they also tend to be a lot slower.)

--Travis