Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:14:45 GMT

Has any thought been given to anyone on how patterned parts/stickered parts are
to be handled?  Because there are more colors used in printed and stickered
parts then there will ever be in the plastic colors that this defines.

I'm not trilled with the idea sorting by name, especially since there's nothing
defined in the LDConfig standard to allow translating names to languages besides
English.  You might know that the part your using is some shade of purple, but
you'd have to search through the entire list trying to see what's the closest
match.  And then you might be frustrated, since the name in the list calls it
"Lilac" or "Violet."

I don't really like that some colors are defined twice.  If you want to have
white be available as both #15 and #30001, then 30001 should just be an alias of
the current color.  Otherwise, how will a program know how to filter out
duplicates?

Many of the colors definitely don't look right.  Are the colors listed on the
Peeron page (Pantone values) for printed building instructions, or the plastic
piece color? I imagine it's for printing, since the black looks bluish, the
white looks grayish, and the in-between colors just look off.  The current
colors used by the ldconfig file seem better.

Andy