Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
   Viewing just a small portion of Datsville on my AMD1100, for example TOWN-10.ldr, takes 1.8 seconds in L3Lab. But several minutes in LDView - if it doesn’t crash. I am unemployed and with absolutely no hope whatsoever of getting a fulltime job that will make me able to afford a new PC. (And anyway, I doubt that a top modern state of the art home PC comes close to 1.8 seconds in LDView.)

I have a few comments here. First of all, if you’re going to load a huge model in LDView, it’s usually best to set its “Memory Usage” setting to Low (especially on old hardware). Secondly, as has been pointed out, LDView takes a lot longer to load models than L3P, but after they are loaded, they can be examined at much higher speed (although not once they cause LDView to have to swap).

On my computer here at work, I get around 2.5 FPS on town.mpd (from here) once it has loaded. That’s all of Datsville, and it does take awhile to load (about 35 seconds). Switching to town-10.dat in the MPD gives me around 50 FPS with memory usage set to Low and 75 FPS with memory usage set to High. (I switched to High after selecting the town-10.dat MPD sub-model; loading town.mpd with it set to High is generally a bad idea.)

All of the above was done on a recent fast computer, and obviously things slow down dramatically as the age of the computer increases. On your computer, L3Lab seems to be a more appropriate program, because it was designed with different goals, but the fact is that on a modern computer, LDView works fine, even with large models.

--Travis