Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:38:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Allen Smith wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors

I think group sub-sorting might be more trouble than it's
worth. Editors can just sort the colors by
Hue-Saturation-Brightness. That's what Bricksmith does. It's a
simple mathematical transformation.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  I just didn't say it right. ;)
If you're not going to list the colors in ldconfig.ldr sorted by
number then pick a useful ordering like Hue-Saturation-Brightness.
Alphabetic order is not much better than random.

Each program that reads and uses the LDconfig.ldr file should know
how best to display the colors.  If the program shows color swaths,
then it does make good sense for the program to display them in a
Hue-Saturation-Brightness order.  For programs that display only the
names, then displaying the names in alphabetical order makes sense.

Personally I find it harder to remember all the silly names than to
remember the basic colors by number.  If they aren't sorted by color
then I still want red, blue, yellow, black, white, and grey near the
top of the list.  The numeric order has that property.

When adding to and editing the LDconfig.ldr file, people can not
visually translate the Hex RGB values to color swaths, therefore it
does not make sense to sort them by Hue-Saturation-Brightness in the
file itself.

Sorting by color codes or alphabetically makes the file more easily
edited and new colors added without having to use a program to
calculate where a new color would fit in a Hue-Saturation-Brightness
sort order.

This is where you lose me.  Why is alphabetic order easier to edit?
I'd think that since what you're doing is creating new codes, what you
really want to know is which codes are already used.  The old
numerical order still makes the most sense for that.  My point with
the HSB ordring is that it might be easier to see if a new color
called say "fruity puff" already has a number with a different name in
the file if you could see all the pinks listed together.  You don't
need to translate hex values to know that "powdered pink" and "scala
blush" are similar and might be the same as "fruity puff", but it'd
be a lot harder to find and compare them if listed alphabetically.
Didn't someone just say the bonifide lego names are mostly gibberish?

My honest opinion is that you should leave the file in numeric order
and try to repurpose colors from the dithered section for the most
compatibility.  I'm sure if you look you can find a nice dithered
color close  enough to "fruity puff" that it can be slightly recolored
in the LDconfig.ldr file to match exactly.

Color codes are becoming less well-known, as many programs don't
display the color code along with the color swath / color name.

That's ok, but the folks in charge of the LDconfig.ldr file should
probably know something about the color codes, right?  The codes
are what that file is all about!  Otherwise we'd just list the
color names along with an RGB value and be done with it.

Therefore, alphabetical sorting in the LDconfig.ldr file makes the
most sense; leaving each software program to best determine how
these colors should be displayed to the program user.

Scott W.
Member LSC

I suppose since you guys are responsible for additions to the file,
it makes sense to go with what you like best, even if it's nonsense
to me. :)

Have fun,

Don
(lazy membership avoider and general trouble maker)