Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:05:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
That's very good news! Very recently I visited
http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownload-cid-11.html and there it reads:
"Version: 1.3 | File size: 78.00 Kb" and links to
http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p.html where it reads: "NEW  Read about the v1.3
20010120 release  NEW". Maybe time to update some pages?

It is the webmaster's policy that the authors submit and maintain the links to
their tools and we only remove broken links. Obviously nothing hinders us to
update the link for L3P at Ldraw.org but since nothing on the official page
http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p.html points to the beta version we have to take
into account that apparently the author considers his beta version not fit for
the public yet, though it has been released almost a year ago.

I don't see the point in disregarding backwards compability when there's nothing
to gain with it. I was pro skipping subfiling silver, gold and other special
colored pattern details - but that did only affect original LDraw because of a
tiny bug in it. We still have a couple of hundred color numbers that do not
cause problems with older LDraw programs and utilities that don't search
LDConfig.ldr, why on earth not use them first?

Hmm ... let's see: http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3lab.html Current version: v1.2 -
2000 06 16.

* Last time we stuck to backwards compatibility for a no longer updated prog we
had to separate dithers colors into subfiles.
* Last time we stuck to backwards compatibility for a no longer updated prog the
PT admins had to squeeze the parts numbering into 8 digits.
* Last time we stuck to backwards compatibility for a no longer updated prog the
numbering of the new colors was bend to this scheme:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11937
* Last time we stuck to a no longer updated prog we ended up with three years
without any library update and some 3000 part headers checked one by one.

Welcome to 2009.

Correct, LDraw.org Colour Definition Language Extension specs doesn't talk about
a forbidden zone. But OTOH, has there been a decision that it's ok to use these
incompatible color numbers?

Go and ask the LSC.

w.