Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:51:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:

we put together a new LDConfig file which hopefully fills in where
the old version failed.  A beta version of the file can be found at:

http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LDConfig.ldr

while a Wiki version showing also the colors is stored at:

http://www.ldraw.org/wiki/index.php/LDConfig.ldr

Before going public we have asked some programmers for
feedback. Most concerns were rose about the transparent color
values. Be sure we used the Shadow colors provided by the LEGO
Group. Shadow colors are not the RGB values used for the molds but
are representations of those colors used in the company's system.
Question is:

Shall we restore the historical LDraw colors for the range from 0 to
50 since the new colors look unnatural and washed out? This has to
discussed before we officially ship the new file with the 02-2009
parts update.

I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but I think there
might be a big difference between the representation of RGB values
in a dye based color system for bricks, another one for printing on
paper, and a color system for computer monitors.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut

The impression I get is that you can't use the same RGB values
for both systems and see the same colors.  I *like* the original
bright shiny ldraw colors.  They make it look like the toy that it
is.  So if I had a vote, I'd keep the original 64 colors.  That's
always been my opinion...

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=9789

But apparently the bright shiny colors (and edges) have gone out of
style.  Does this file still exist anywhere?

  http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/ldconfig-alt.ldr

We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I'm not sure that helps me any.  If I can't remember the
number for a color, I'd rather they were clustered by basic color
first, then alphabetically by the actual name.  Like this:

  Green:  Bright Green
  Green:  Dark Green
  Green:  Earth Green

If I can't have something like that, I'd rather just sort by number.

You'll also find a list with the original TGL
numbers moved to a 3xxxx range. In no way have the TGL numbers to be
mixed with LDraw colors. Also the comments where we matched the TLG
numbers to LDraw colors should be hidden from the final user.

I like that info, but I don't really like the way the comments make
the file difficult to scan.  Maybe if you moved the LEGOID comments
further to the right it'd give better visual separation from the ldraw
info.

0 //                LEGOID 26 - Black
0 !COLOUR Black                        CODE   0   VALUE #1B2A34   EDGE #595959

Have fun,

Don