Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
But go ahead you guys, keep making the LDraw community more and more a
highbrowed clique, leaving all but a very small exclusive LDraw Super-Elite
behind.

No need for the vitriol Tore.

Remember when the LDraw community was teeming with activity?

Yes but, as with all things, people come and people go.  I, for example, am much
more withdrawn than I was in 2004 since I'm on an operational submarine now and
only have a limited amount of time in port.  Believe me, I have about 5 or 6
projects on the back burner waiting for me to find time to get back to them.

New parts were
added to the official library, not just added to the ever growing list of files
forever held in the Tracker.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I would rather have a smaller
number of high quality parts than a large number of low quality ones.  I do
photoreal renders (when I have time to work on them) and higher quality, more
refined parts definately make a difference.  Plus all the parts are publicly
available for download on the PT.

Almost anyone could create an LDraw oriented
utility program. The LDraw specs where aimed to simplicity and
user-friendliness. Now it seems professionality and correctness. So now only
professional programmers are able to come up with anything compliant.

Let's face it, the average user doesn't see and doesn't care about the
underlying LDraw code.  They just want to create models on their computer and
render them in a way that is pleasing.  The spec is written by programmers, for
programmers.  So yes, there may be some complexity but this is necessary since
Lego is a complex system.  The spec will also evolve.  Yes, backward
compatibility is important but I have no interest in preserving it if it
threatens to hold back the development of new ways to enrich the current user
experience.  At some points the lines have to be cut

-Orion