Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 04:25:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Andrew Westrate wrote:

   I don’t really like that some colors are defined twice. If you want to have white be available as both #15 and #30001, then 30001 should just be an alias of the current color. Otherwise, how will a program know how to filter out duplicates?

Duplicated colors are my deepest concern. Below is a screenshot of Bricksmith’s color picker using the new ldconfig.ldr:

I can’t just hide the TLG colors. For one thing, some of them don’t seem to have non-TLG counterparts (like TLG_Bright_Reddish_Orange). For another, any model could be defined with these colors and I would have to properly display them when selected. So I feel like I’m stuck with an unnavigable color palette.

I also think this is confusing to the user. What’s the difference between “TLG Bright Blue” and “Blue”? Some people might think the former is better because it’s TLG; others might opt for the latter, because nobody I’ve ever met calls their blue bricks “TLG Bright Blue.”

Which colors are the appropriate colors for new models? The old (legacy?) LDraw codes? Or the new Lego colors?

This gets confusing fast. I’d rather not put users through the trouble. Keep the original LDraw code points as the exclusive homes for their colors, and keep some of the plain original names. (Yes, I prefer “Brown” over “TLG Earth Orange.” And “Green”/”Dark Green” vs. “TLG Dark Green”/”TLG Earth Green”. Lego’s names are seriously confusing!) Lego’s official names can be documented with comments rather than with duplicative LDraw codepoints which can never be retracted once released.

All that said, I think it is fantastic to finally support the full color palette, and I applaud all the hard work that’s gone into defining it. Thanks!

Allen