Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:13:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
My honest opinion is that you should leave the file in numeric order
and try to repurpose colors from the dithered section for the most
compatibility.  I'm sure if you look you can find a nice dithered
color close  enough to "fruity puff" that it can be slightly recolored
in the LDconfig.ldr file to match exactly.

Yeah, I actually wanted to do that too in the begining.  I can't remember how
long we have been working on the release of this file, but it has been a long
time for me.  I'm not sure I have enough fight left in me to support (and drag
this out longer) to match the new colors to the historic dithered color codes.
Adding colors in this way is not without its complications, and for those colors
(like Dark Red) that are already defined in this way, they have caused problems.

I also fought to group like color codes together in reserved groups; like the
32-63 color codes were reserved for transparent colors.  Colors do have some
grouping, but we had to work around color codes that were already defined.

Color codes are becoming less well-known, as many programs don't
display the color code along with the color swath / color name.

That's ok, but the folks in charge of the LDconfig.ldr file should
probably know something about the color codes, right?  The codes
are what that file is all about!  Otherwise we'd just list the
color names along with an RGB value and be done with it.

Well, its not all about the color codes, but point well taken.  I'll switch my
vote to sorting by color codes.  Thanks for sticking to your guns.

Scott