Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:12:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:

* Last time we stuck to backwards compatibility for a no longer updated prog we
had to separate dithers colors into subfiles.

That is just so not true.

Welcome to 2009.

Well then, welcome to my reality.

Viewing just a small portion of Datsville on my AMD1100, for example
TOWN-10.ldr, takes 1.8 seconds in L3Lab. But several minutes in LDView - if it
doesn't crash. I am unemployed and with absolutely no hope whatsoever of getting
a fulltime job that will make me able to afford a new PC. (And anyway, I doubt
that a top modern state of the art home PC comes close to 1.8 seconds in
LDView.)

But go ahead you guys, keep making the LDraw community more and more a
highbrowed clique, leaving all but a very small exclusive LDraw Super-Elite
behind. Keep neglecting backwards compability issues and people like Fernando
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=16378 will very soon get tired and move on from
us.

Remember when the LDraw community was teeming with activity? New parts were
added to the official library, not just added to the ever growing list of files
forever held in the Tracker. Almost anyone could create an LDraw oriented
utility program. The LDraw specs where aimed to simplicity and
user-friendliness. Now it seems professionality and correctness. So now only
professional programmers are able to come up with anything compliant.

Wrong way, IMO!
/Tore