 CAD / 16368

Subject:
New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:35:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks,

working on and off for almost a year with Scott Wardlaw, Alex Taylor and with
the help from Joshua Delahunty we put together a new LDConfig file which
hopefully fills in where the old version failed:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=15477&t=i&v=a

The file has the following characteristics:

* 100% backwards compatible with the old LDConfig.ldr file
http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/ldconfig.ldr
* Uses LEGO RGB values
* Uses LEGO numbering where possible
* Lists the matched LEGO name
* Uses Bricklink names
* Contains all colors currently listed at Bricklink
* Colors are listed in alphabetical order
* New color definitions for "Glitter" and "Speckle" as defined by the LSC

The following sources have been used to create the file:

New RGB Shadow color values provided by the LEGO Group
http://www.ldraw.org/Article93.html
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp?v=0&itemType=P&itemNo=
http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~dulcaoin/LEGO/LEGO-Color-Chart.pdf
http://www.isodomos.com/ColorTree
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi

A beta version of the file can be found at:

http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LDConfig.ldr

while a Wiki version showing also the colors is stored at:

http://www.ldraw.org/wiki/index.php/LDConfig.ldr

Before going public we have asked some programmers for feedback. Most concerns
were rose about the transparent color values. Be sure we used the Shadow colors
provided by the LEGO Group. Shadow colors are not the RGB values used for the
molds but are representations of those colors used in the company's system.
Question is:

Shall we restore the historical LDraw colors for the range from 0 to 50 since
the new colors look unnatural and washed out? This has to discussed before we
officially ship the new file with the 02-2009 parts update.

Another issue is consistency. While some programs of the LDraw System of Tools
already support the LDConfig.ldr file and use it instead of an inbuild color
system some don't. In order to keep the colors consistent throughout the LDraw
System of Tools it would be desirable to have all programs switch to the
LDConfig file.

In no way we are going to allowed that progs set a new color as it has happened
in the past:

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/30367ps1.dat

We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors (perfect would be to leave the choice to the
user). You'll also find a list with the original TGL numbers moved to a 3xxxx
range. In no way have the TGL numbers to be mixed with LDraw colors. Also the
comments where we matched the TLG numbers to LDraw colors should be hidden from
the final user.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

w.

Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
* 100% backwards compatible with the old LDConfig.ldr file
http://www.ldraw.org/library/official/ldconfig.ldr
* Uses LEGO RGB values
* Uses LEGO numbering where possible
* Lists the matched LEGO name
* Uses Bricklink names
So it'd be goodbye for Stone Gray? :-( Well, I can live with that..

* Contains all colors currently listed at Bricklink
* Colors are listed in alphabetical order
* New color definitions for "Glitter" and "Speckle" as defined by the LSC
Nice! :-)

SNIP
Shall we restore the historical LDraw colors for the range from 0 to 50 since
the new colors look unnatural and washed out? This has to discussed before we
officially ship the new file with the 02-2009 parts update.
Hmm... looking at the new colours I'd be otherwise fine sans the new Black...
looks too bluish for me.

Another issue is consistency. While some programs of the LDraw System of Tools
already support the LDConfig.ldr file and use it instead of an inbuild color
system some don't. In order to keep the colors consistent throughout the LDraw
System of Tools it would be desirable to have all programs switch to the
LDConfig file.
Well that's going to be quite a job considering MLCad's and L3P's unmaintained
nature..

SNIP

Comments and feedback are welcome.

w.

Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
we put together a new LDConfig file which hopefully fills in where
the old version failed.  A beta version of the file can be found at:

http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LDConfig.ldr

while a Wiki version showing also the colors is stored at:

http://www.ldraw.org/wiki/index.php/LDConfig.ldr

Before going public we have asked some programmers for
feedback. Most concerns were rose about the transparent color
values. Be sure we used the Shadow colors provided by the LEGO
Group. Shadow colors are not the RGB values used for the molds but
are representations of those colors used in the company's system.
Question is:

Shall we restore the historical LDraw colors for the range from 0 to
50 since the new colors look unnatural and washed out? This has to
discussed before we officially ship the new file with the 02-2009
parts update.

I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but I think there
might be a big difference between the representation of RGB values
in a dye based color system for bricks, another one for printing on
paper, and a color system for computer monitors.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut

The impression I get is that you can't use the same RGB values
for both systems and see the same colors.  I *like* the original
bright shiny ldraw colors.  They make it look like the toy that it
is.  So if I had a vote, I'd keep the original 64 colors.  That's
always been my opinion...

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=9789

But apparently the bright shiny colors (and edges) have gone out of
style.  Does this file still exist anywhere?

  http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/ldconfig-alt.ldr

We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I'm not sure that helps me any.  If I can't remember the
number for a color, I'd rather they were clustered by basic color
first, then alphabetically by the actual name.  Like this:

  Green:  Bright Green
  Green:  Dark Green
  Green:  Earth Green

If I can't have something like that, I'd rather just sort by number.

You'll also find a list with the original TGL
numbers moved to a 3xxxx range. In no way have the TGL numbers to be
mixed with LDraw colors. Also the comments where we matched the TLG
numbers to LDraw colors should be hidden from the final user.

I like that info, but I don't really like the way the comments make
the file difficult to scan.  Maybe if you moved the LEGOID comments
further to the right it'd give better visual separation from the ldraw
info.

0 //                LEGOID 26 - Black
0 !COLOUR Black                        CODE   0   VALUE #1B2A34   EDGE #595959

Have fun,

Don

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
But apparently the bright shiny colors (and edges) have gone out of
style.  Does this file still exist anywhere?

  http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/ldconfig-alt.ldr

The file is still shipped with the LDraw Parts Library though it has been
renamed to "ldcfgalt.ldr"

We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I'm not sure that helps me any.  If I can't remember the
number for a color, I'd rather they were clustered by basic color
first, then alphabetically by the actual name.  Like this:

  Green:  Bright Green
  Green:  Dark Green
  Green:  Earth Green

Hmmm this would be best solved with an additional command in the file - say
CATEGORY or CLASTER or whatever. Anyway, modifications to the synthax can only
be applied by the LSC.

I like that info, but I don't really like the way the comments make
the file difficult to scan.  Maybe if you moved the LEGOID comments
further to the right it'd give better visual separation from the ldraw
info.

0 //                LEGOID 26 - Black
0 !COLOUR Black                        CODE   0   VALUE #1B2A34   EDGE #595959

Good point. I'll modify the file accordingly.

w.

Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I’m not sure that helps me any. If I can’t remember the number for a color, I’d rather they were clustered by basic color first, then alphabetically by the actual name. Like this:

Green: Bright Green
Green: Dark Green
Green: Earth Green

If I can’t have something like that, I’d rather just sort by number.

I think group sub-sorting might be more trouble than it’s worth. Editors can just sort the colors by Hue-Saturation-Brightness. That’s what Bricksmith does. It’s a simple mathematical transformation.

Allen

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Allen Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I’m not sure that helps me any. If I can’t remember the number for a color, I’d rather they were clustered by basic color first, then alphabetically by the actual name. Like this:

Green: Bright Green
Green: Dark Green
Green: Earth Green

If I can’t have something like that, I’d rather just sort by number.

I think group sub-sorting might be more trouble than it’s worth. Editors can just sort the colors by Hue-Saturation-Brightness. That’s what Bricksmith does. It’s a simple mathematical transformation.

Now that’s what I’m talking about! I just didn’t say it right. ;) If you’re not going to list the colors in ldconfig.ldr sorted by number then pick a useful ordering like Hue-Saturation-Brightness. Alphabetic order is not much better than random.

By the way, what’s up with the grays in the bricksmith list? Not pure enough to get placed near the top of the list between black and white? Is there any way to tweak that?

Allen

[...]

Each program that reads and uses the LDconfig.ldr file should know how best to
display the colors.  If the program shows color swaths, then it does make good
sense for the program to display them in a Hue-Saturation-Brightness order.  For
programs that display only the names, then displaying the names in alphabetical
order makes sense.

When adding to and editing the LDconfig.ldr file, people can not visually
translate the Hex RGB values to color swaths, therefore it does not make sense
to sort them by Hue-Saturation-Brightness in the file itself.

Sorting by color codes or alphabetically makes the file more easily edited and
new colors added without having to use a program to calculate where a new color
would fit in a Hue-Saturation-Brightness sort order.

Color codes are becoming less well-known, as many programs don't display the
color code along with the color swath / color name.

Therefore, alphabetical sorting in the LDconfig.ldr file makes the most sense;
leaving each software program to best determine how these colors should be
displayed to the program user.

Scott W.
Member LSC

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
[...]

Personally I find it harder to remember all the silly names than to
remember the basic colors by number.  If they aren't sorted by color
then I still want red, blue, yellow, black, white, and grey near the
top of the list.  The numeric order has that property.

When adding to and editing the LDconfig.ldr file, people can not
visually translate the Hex RGB values to color swaths, therefore it
does not make sense to sort them by Hue-Saturation-Brightness in the
file itself.

Sorting by color codes or alphabetically makes the file more easily
edited and new colors added without having to use a program to
calculate where a new color would fit in a Hue-Saturation-Brightness
sort order.

This is where you lose me.  Why is alphabetic order easier to edit?
I'd think that since what you're doing is creating new codes, what you
really want to know is which codes are already used.  The old
numerical order still makes the most sense for that.  My point with
the HSB ordring is that it might be easier to see if a new color
called say "fruity puff" already has a number with a different name in
the file if you could see all the pinks listed together.  You don't
need to translate hex values to know that "powdered pink" and "scala
blush" are similar and might be the same as "fruity puff", but it'd
be a lot harder to find and compare them if listed alphabetically.
Didn't someone just say the bonifide lego names are mostly gibberish?

My honest opinion is that you should leave the file in numeric order
and try to repurpose colors from the dithered section for the most
compatibility.  I'm sure if you look you can find a nice dithered
color close  enough to "fruity puff" that it can be slightly recolored
in the LDconfig.ldr file to match exactly.

Color codes are becoming less well-known, as many programs don't
display the color code along with the color swath / color name.

That's ok, but the folks in charge of the LDconfig.ldr file should
probably know something about the color codes, right?  The codes
are what that file is all about!  Otherwise we'd just list the
color names along with an RGB value and be done with it.

Therefore, alphabetical sorting in the LDconfig.ldr file makes the
most sense; leaving each software program to best determine how
these colors should be displayed to the program user.

Scott W.
Member LSC

I suppose since you guys are responsible for additions to the file,
it makes sense to go with what you like best, even if it's nonsense
to me. :)

Have fun,

Don
(lazy membership avoider and general trouble maker)

Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file