Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:12:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Allen Smith wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
We also encourage a switch from the current sorting on numbers to an
alphabetical order of the colors

Hmmm, I'm not sure that helps me any.  If I can't remember the
number for a color, I'd rather they were clustered by basic color
first, then alphabetically by the actual name.  Like this:

  Green:  Bright Green¬
  Green:  Dark Green¬
  Green:  Earth Green¬

If I can't have something like that, I'd rather just sort by number.

I think group sub-sorting might be more trouble than it's worth. Editors can
just sort the colors by Hue-Saturation-Brightness. That's what Bricksmith
does. It's a simple mathematical transformation.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  I just didn't say it right. ;)
If you're not going to list the colors in ldconfig.ldr sorted by number then
pick a useful ordering like Hue-Saturation-Brightness.  Alphabetic order
is not much better than random.

Each program that reads and uses the LDconfig.ldr file should know how best to
display the colors.  If the program shows color swaths, then it does make good
sense for the program to display them in a Hue-Saturation-Brightness order.  For
programs that display only the names, then displaying the names in alphabetical
order makes sense.

When adding to and editing the LDconfig.ldr file, people can not visually
translate the Hex RGB values to color swaths, therefore it does not make sense
to sort them by Hue-Saturation-Brightness in the file itself.

Sorting by color codes or alphabetically makes the file more easily edited and
new colors added without having to use a program to calculate where a new color
would fit in a Hue-Saturation-Brightness sort order.

Color codes are becoming less well-known, as many programs don't display the
color code along with the color swath / color name.

Therefore, alphabetical sorting in the LDconfig.ldr file makes the most sense;
leaving each software program to best determine how these colors should be
displayed to the program user.

Scott W.
Member LSC