Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
All new color codes except 313 Maersk Blue generate errors in L3Lab and L3P
because the numbers just had to be picked from the forbidden zone... :( :( :(

Could you be a bit more precise. What is the "Forbidden zone"?

w.

Well, actually there are two forbidden zones; the small at colors 29 through 31
and the large at 48 to 255. Color numbers within those ranges generate errors if
used in L3P and L3Lab. In original LDraw and other really old programs, colors
25-28 will most likely also cause errors as they are hard-coded in L3 programs
and some other more recent tools. I understand that it is of course thought that
programs made today will look the colors up in LDConfig.ldr. But so far we need
current L3P to convert to PovRay.

Using dithered numbers (256-511), like 313 for Maersk Blue, will generate a
somewhat acceptable lightblue from L3P, while an unknown numbers like 29, 92,
and 151 will generate an annoying error and color #7 (lightgray) will be picked
instead.

As far as I remember LDView does a more than decent job converting to PovRay as
well as viewer so there is actually no need for L3P or L3Lab - not counting in
that accordingly the L3P page http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p14beta.html#version14
it supports the LDConfig.ldr file:

"Colors from ldconfig.ldr
The new default for color values is to use the definitions in ldconfig.ldr
located in the LDraw directory. See LDraw.org Colour Definition Language
Extension."

That's very good news! Very recently I visited
http://www.ldraw.org/Downloads-req-viewdownload-cid-11.html and there it reads:
"Version: 1.3 | File size: 78.00 Kb" and links to
http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p.html where it reads: "NEW  Read about the v1.3
20010120 release  NEW". Maybe time to update some pages?

I haven't checked out how LDView does command line based batch jobs and if I am
able to change LDA to call on LDView to convert the frames into POV instead of
L3P. So I'm not ready to throw out L3P yet. And to abandon L3Lab after all these
years, well I'll do that only if I'm forced to. It's still my LDraw viewer of
choise.

Reading also through the "LDraw.org Colour Definition Language Extension" specs
at http://www.ldraw.org/Article299.html it doesn't talk about a forbidden zone
and therefore yes I expect "programs made today will look the colors up in
LDConfig.ldr"

w.

I don't see the point in disregarding backwards compability when there's nothing
to gain with it. I was pro skipping subfiling silver, gold and other special
colored pattern details - but that did only affect original LDraw because of a
tiny bug in it. We still have a couple of hundred color numbers that do not
cause problems with older LDraw programs and utilities that don't search
LDConfig.ldr, why on earth not use them first?

Correct, LDraw.org Colour Definition Language Extension specs doesn't talk about
a forbidden zone. But OTOH, has there been a decision that it's ok to use these
incompatible color numbers?