Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 23:48:19 GMT

   Shall we restore the historical LDraw colors for the range from 0 to 50 since the new colors look unnatural and washed out? This has to discussed before we officially ship the new file with the 02-2009 parts update.

In order to add new colors to the list easily and with some officiality, it makes good sense to follow a system like using the colors provided from the Lego company. This is what I agreed to when creating this list of colors; as I knew that I could simply change the RGB values for my own use.

I’m now concerned that new LDraw users may be much more turned off by these washed out colors and will likely not continue to use LDraw. LDD is already much more flashy and colorful than MLCAD / BrickSmith.

If the choice is still given, I’d have to stay with the historical LDraw colors that match up with those in the LDconfig.ldr file.

Here are two examples of the washed out colors verses colors that I have been working on; which are very similar to the historical LDraw colors:

The VW bug is a Lego Miniland design modified for the more limited orange colors.

The Refrigerator Train Car is the great design of Cale Leiphart.

Scott