Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 04:32:30 GMT

--snip--

Who is this average LDraw user often referred to anyway, who's
experiences have to be taken in so much more consideration than, for example,
mine?

/Tore

The majority of LDraw users I know of outside LUGNET (flickr, facebook and TBB)
use MLCAD and LDview for their LDraw experience. It's not a full poll and it's
not a big sample but it's probably a better example of 'new users' than what
you'll see on LUGNET.

I understand the desire for backwards compatibility but sometimes decisions that
made sense in a different world (EGA... not even VGA) have to be looked over and
overturned. I would be willing to bet that your statistically averaged modern
user hasn't even heard of l3p, l3plab or POVray. What they have heard of is the
modern colours that simply aren't rendered well enough in older software.

Likewise (to agree with you on another point) I do think that they would care
less about a perfect part than they do about an official (and thus easily
installed) part. But that is a decision for the elected and delegated
'officials' and, even more importnantly, for the people that will actually carry
out the necessary work.

My thoughts,

Tim