Re: New LDConfig.ldr color file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:21:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tore Eriksson wrote:
But go ahead you guys, keep making the LDraw community more and more a
highbrowed clique, leaving all but a very small exclusive LDraw Super-Elite
behind.

No need for the vitriol Tore.

Couldn't find the word "vitriol" in my dictionary, just "vitrify". But from the
context I conclude it's something like aggressive, rude, grumpy, impolite, or
emotional. And yes, I admit I've been unnesessarily grumpy and I am truly sorry
for that. But it is with an enormous sadness I watch the LDraw elitee leaving
users like me behind, and doing so with a most condescending attitude.

New parts were
added to the official library, not just added to the ever growing list of files
forever held in the Tracker.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I would rather have a smaller
number of high quality parts than a large number of low quality ones.  I do
photoreal renders (when I have time to work on them) and higher quality, more
refined parts definately make a difference.  Plus all the parts are publicly
available for download on the PT.

What you are saying is that your LDraw usage is important, mine isn't. And, in
your photoreal renders, are the minifig heads still polygonized from the
original, official LDraw dat files, or are you using LGEO or Anton Raves'
library anyway? I fully understand that you don't want to use a part that "needs
work". Well then, just don't. But if it's good for over 98% of the usages, like
sharing MOC instructions, OMR, animation, whatever... who is "holding back the
development", really?

Let's face it, the average user doesn't see and doesn't care about the
underlying LDraw code. They just want to create models on their computer and
render them in a way that is pleasing.

Great to see that you are concerned about the average user. I thought I was
counted as a user. Because as a user, I pointed out the unfortunate of using
colour codes that L3Lab can't handle. Use LDView instead, I was recommended. I
said I don't like to wait for minutes instead of seconds (alright I tweaked the
example to 40 seconds, but it's still unacceptable to me), but my opinion as an
LDraw user is not importatant, is it?

Yes, backward
compatibility is important but I have no interest in preserving it if it
threatens to hold back the development of new ways to enrich the current user
experience.  At some points the lines have to be cut

Of course I agree to that. So let's get back to my original commentary. "All new
color codes except 313 Maersk Blue generate errors in L3Lab and L3P
because the numbers just had to be picked from the forbidden zone... :( :( :(".
(Keep in mind that I was unaware of L3P 1.4 when I wrote it.) In this case, I
have not asked for anything that could "threaten to hold back the development"
in any way at all. Yet my POVs has been completely trashed and neglected. Color
313 Maersk Blue is chosen with consideration. To pick the other color numbers
from the dithered range would by no means threaten anything.

/Tore