 CAD / 16369
16368  |  16370
Subject:
LEGO Repulsorlift ("Augmented Reality" visualization)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:46:42 GMT

Hi, all.

I usually build alternate models, but I recently came to the conclusion that
just building a decent model from a limited selection of parts isn't enough of a
challenge. So, I've developed a new building technique to make more
sophisticated use of the familiar plastic parts: LEGO repulsorlift.

Here is a goofy little video demonstrating the prototype:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anoved/3766583387/

All jokes aside, I think it's pretty neat, and I hope it inspires others to try
some unconventional methods of presenting models, too. I got the idea after
reading about LEGO's "augmented reality" video kiosks and seeing the following
video:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/hughgarry/videos/5/

I knew the pieces were nearly in place to accomplish something similar with
LDraw software, and although my effort is nowhere near as slick as LEGO's, I
think it's quite cool what's already possible. (Thanks, Travis, for adding 3DS
export to LDView!)

Jim