 Trains / Train Organizations / 760
Re: Got NMRA?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:58:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Dan Parker writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, John Gerlach writes:<snip>What should James do to
impress the NMRA folks?"   :-)
JohnG, GMLTC

PNLTC invariably conducts workshops at venues, especially GATS as they pay $10
a session and it's a gimme.  We call it "Care and Feeding of LEGO-brand
Trains."
Spend 5 minutes on history (1965 4.5v to present 9v), 5 on current elements
and track, then typical stock and custom wheel arrangements.  Throw in
advantages of creativity, changeability, kitbashing with other bricks onhand,
then show a range of models from whimsical to prototype and examples of
rolling stock and motive power.  To fill an hour, open it up to Q&A and
mention exploding on-line support and clubs.  You may wish to bring pics of
past events and add models of bridges (big model rr hotbutton).  Insure pics
include kids _and_ adults playing with and watching the trains.
Last, I'd emphasize recruiting and transitioning aspects of LEGO trains, iow,
it's OK if the kids can't handle the finescale stuff.  Let'em cut their teeth
on these, honing skills and creative juices.  The adults may find these a
challenge in their own right, thus it can be a shared and rewarding activity.
Hammering the point:  sure, these are toy trains but they have the quality and
creative aspects that may ultimately produce genuine model railroaders.

dan parker
PNLTC

Thats a great idea for a clinic, maybe after I do my presentation for NMRA I
can scale it down and make a clinic out of it for future shows...cool.

I'm also thinking of taking a laptop and LCD projector so I can display some
images from past shows, set pictures and even some of the great MOCs from
around the world.

jt