 Trains / Train Organizations / 767
Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:06:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
To your point about the NMRA and AFOL sentiment, I think you may be on to
something. I don't think John Neal was a model railroader, although I could be
wrong. Or Mike Poindexter either, and those are the names that come to mind as
thought leaders in the "we don't need the NMRA" camp.

I have never been one to say that we don't need the NMRA.  After all, I was
the driving force in getting BAYLTC to the NMRA.  I think that we need
publicity and the NMRA can provide that.  Until people don't come by and
mention that they had no idea Lego made trains, we will need all the publicity
we can get.  That means we need any venue we can have to show, be it NMRA,
GATS, local fairs, whatever.

I have never had a train set that didn't have LEGO written all over it.  I
probably never will, either.  Still, I go to a few model railroad club
meetings from time to time.  No NMRA chapter here to hang out at, but it
doesn't really matter much to me.

I think the biggest problem with a National or International LTC is that we
won't really be able to get together and show, as the travel expense is too
great.  Still, it would be awesome to see a half dozen Lego train layouts at
one show.  I would really like that to happen at a normal train event,
though.  That would impress people at the NMRA if there were a half dozen Lego
layouts there instead of always having "just one" club.  Power in numbers, my
man.

Mike