 Trains / Train Organizations / 732
Re: Train Purity (was Got NMRA? (was....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:48:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:

....whether or not someone would accept non-LEGO
components <snip> or would they continue to remain "pure".

-John

Hey, the concept of 'purity' itself could be greatly debated.  What's the
difference between string supplied in the Pirate sets and track used for train
sets?  Don't both support construction-use-operability of the set in question
equally well?  What is so "LEGO" about the string?  If I could use an non-LEGO
equivalent here, couldn't I use an equivalent track such as O-gauge?  If not
merely a replacement, would non-LEGO elements be acceptable if they
actually 'improved' playability?

One could also compare a rumored demise against the plight experienced by
Standard Gauge toy trainers (the real big trains from the early part of the
century).  Hey, these guys mix/match stuff from various manufacturers, often
with a great measure of freedom -- and as an accepted norm.

Iow, 'purity' is a sliding line, and I'd support adapting O-equipment if TLG
bailed on us.

danp
PNLTC