 Trains / 7488
Re: 8 wide trolley???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:38:50 GMT

John Gerlach wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

PS:  This model is "technically" 8 wide.  Hear that John Neal?

"Technically" 8 wide???  Hmmm....just wondering how that is different than
just plain ol' 8 wide....

I say that because it has steps at the center and the bottom step, below the
door, sticks out a stud from the body. This is prototypical, but it makes
the body 8 wide, just in that spot. Also the 1x1 clips stick out almost a
stud, and the mirrors, if fully extended, stick out almost 2 studs on each
side.

Yo-- 8 wide is 8 wide  :-)

I'm not sure there is a flame suit strong enough for me to stand in between
the two loudest and most argumentative GMLTC members, but being the fool that
I am, I'm going to dive in here.

How are we measuring width?  Widest part of a locomotive or car?  Or are we
just measuring the "body" of them?

No flaming here, J-1, because of course you are correct, sir!  Just because
someone slaps something on their train car that sticks out on the side doesn't
make it a bona fide 8 wide.... (hey, I like the sound of that:)   The real litmus
is *interior* room, which in an 8 wide should be 6 studs.

I just couldn't resist tweaking Lar, whom I don't think has the *ability* to
create a "bona fide 8 wide" >;-D

-John (J-2)

If we're measuring the widest part, the good old 4563 "Load 'n' Haul Railroad"
would be closer to 7-wide than 6-wide, because of the 1x2 bricks with 'T'
handles (or whatever the LDraw folks call them) sticking out each side.  If
we're measuring 'body width', then I'd agree that it is 6-wide.

(J-2, then your 14-wide Soo Line caboose would be almost 16-wide, and your 4-
wides are more like 5...)

To me, Larry's trolly looks more like a 6-wide than an 8-wide.  I'd look at it
from the interior - if you can sit minifigs side-by-side, it would have to be
8-wide.  If they're all sitting alone, it's 6-wide.  (This of course coming
from a guy who usually doesn't put figs in his trains!)

Call the Fire Department, the flames are going to be brutal...

JohnG, GMLTC
  (send all flames to  gmltc_j1 @ yahoo.com  please...)