 Trains / 7471
Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:47:36 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

As some of you know, I loaned my "tribute to the PCC" streetcar to PNLTC for
their record breaking run. It was visible in the line of rolling stock in the
yard. Dan Parker was kind enough to send it (along with the rest of my rolling
stock and over 200 feet of track that I loaned the club) back.

I've had a sweet spot in my heart for that model, and now that soccer buses
are making windows available, and now that I have it back in my paws again so
I could remember what I did, I've made a version of it into a production model
for Milton Train Works.

It's a trolley but it can also play the role of an interurban. I think it's
the most sophisticated mid century trolley yet posted, although I've seen some
neat one truck models elsewhere. I really tried to get the rounded look of the
PCC by playing with the slope of the roof and by some SNOT technology at the
ends. (The ends are a bit different from the yellowroof one I loaned to PNLTC)

A tip of the hat to Huw Millington whose green UK diesel uses a similar
technique, and to James Mathis who has done a fair number of modern passenger
vehicles. This one predates those by a fair bit (the PCC was designed in the
1930s, I believe... ah yes, here's one of many links out there:
http://www.vmt.org/dc_trolley_1470.htm .. and another
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/coupler/0798/julyhis.htm ... and another
http://paintshop.railfan.net/images/belanger/pcc1946.html)

My design looks a bit older and doesn't have the end doors, but it does have
the depressed center door so characteristic of street railway service.

I plan to post more pictures of it soon at Milton Train Works, and on my home
page, but for now, those of you interested will have to go to eBay to see the
only pictures of it yet on the net. Here's a ref if you're interested.

http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=6706

I will be happy to answer questions about the model itself here, but please
confine any discussion relating to commerce-ish things to its proper place,
the .market hierarchy.

++Lar

Hi Lar,

  That looks good. Now that I am reinventing myself in 8-wide I keep thinking
about revisiting my trolleys. Specifically, I keep thinking about making a two
truck street car. The one thing that keeps holding me back are the size of the
LEGO motors. I think that they are to long for trolley trucks. What do you
think? I am not trying to take a shot at your model. I was just wondering what
you thought about the size of the trucks.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. After seeing you reinvent your street car I am really thinking about going
after a two truck model.

P.P.S. The door and window pack is gone now? Bummer.
--
PGP public key available upon request.