 Trains / 7470
Re: Dirty little secret (was Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:37:38 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

I personally think 4 stud spacing is closer (by a hair) to the motor truck
spacing (which is somewhere between 3 and 4, for some strange reason I never
did determine. Anyone know why or have an entertaining speculation?

Well I personally find this spacing quite frustrateing.  So much so that I use
2 motors on the engines that I have designed so far because I just don't like
the look of the dummy truck mixed with the motor truck.  They just don't look
right together.

Part of me wants to say this was some sort of ploy by TLC to get us to dubble
up on motors but I doubt that was it.  I don't know if there is something about
the geometries inside the motor (Never opened one up) that restricts the
spacing or possibly they found this spacing best for keeping contact on corners
and points?

I don't know really but it is rather annoying and one of my current pet-peeves
with TLC.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

I always thought the space between the wheels on a motor was 3 studs. The
problem with a dummy motor is that if the truck has 3 studs between the wheels
then the bogie plate nub is of center.

Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.