 Trains / 7527
Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:25:38 GMT

As some of you know, I loaned my "tribute to the PCC" streetcar to PNLTC for
their record breaking run. It was visible in the line of rolling stock in the
yard. Dan Parker was kind enough to send it (along with the rest of my rolling
stock and over 200 feet of track that I loaned the club) back.

I've had a sweet spot in my heart for that model, and now that soccer buses
are making windows available, and now that I have it back in my paws again so
I could remember what I did, I've made a version of it into a production model
for Milton Train Works.

It's a trolley but it can also play the role of an interurban. I think it's
the most sophisticated mid century trolley yet posted, although I've seen some
neat one truck models elsewhere. I really tried to get the rounded look of the
PCC by playing with the slope of the roof and by some SNOT technology at the
ends. (The ends are a bit different from the yellowroof one I loaned to PNLTC)

A tip of the hat to Huw Millington whose green UK diesel uses a similar
technique, and to James Mathis who has done a fair number of modern passenger
vehicles. This one predates those by a fair bit (the PCC was designed in the
1930s, I believe... ah yes, here's one of many links out there:
http://www.vmt.org/dc_trolley_1470.htm .. and another
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/coupler/0798/julyhis.htm ... and another
http://paintshop.railfan.net/images/belanger/pcc1946.html)

My design looks a bit older and doesn't have the end doors, but it does have
the depressed center door so characteristic of street railway service.

In my listing writeup I say that my model is based on an american prototype.

Jan-Albert Van Ree, my Dutch factoree, was kind enough to send me the
following link:

http://www.haagsetrams.com/english.htm

If you click on the "PCC" link you will see some cars that have PCC
characteristics. (rounded roofs, curved ends, etc.) However they are
asymmetrical, with a distinct front, have doors only one one side, are a bit
narrower and shorter than US PCC cars, and use pantographs.

Despite that, they are very cool, and my model resembles them in some ways. So
even if you're a european modeler, there may be things worth looking at about
my model. (yes, that's self promotion, I admit. But I'm just that darn good...)

Hope you enjoy the link. A lot of it is in English but there are smatterings
of Dutch mixed in too.