 Trains / Train Organizations / 748
Re: Train Purity (was Got NMRA? (was....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:12:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes: • <snip>
Wouldn't you also go for wheels?

Yes. My list was an e.g. not exhaustive.

Howabout an uncoupling ramp to go with the
Kadee couplers (hey, I want nothing less than the best for couplers, if were
going to go non-LEGO there, let's do it right).

In some ways, the things I see most likely that a 3rd party might do:

1. DCC kit like you mention (aren't we just about there for that)?

2. Coupler box which will fit the closest reasonable Kadee coupler (I wonder • if
Kadee approached TLC with a mockup of the coupler box made from a 2x3 brick if
they could get TLC to do the tooling and possibly even the brick production?

Maybe... is Kadee that incompetent of a mold maker though? I do know of at
least one example where TLC might have made something for someone else but
that's all I can say about it... if Kadee wanted to, they could make the mold
themselves, the stud isn't covered by patents any more. They cast in delrin,
though, because they want "slippery" plastic, kind of the opposite of what TLC
wants...

The box should be 2-3 parts). The uncoupling ramps might be doable by gluing a
Kadee ramp to some tiles or plates

3. Wheels, and US style truck side frames

Yes yes, I want many new sizes of wheels. Skip the truck frames, though,
that's part of the fun.

I think that there could be room for a few other types of parts. A more
american style window might be popular. A better windshield for diesel fronts
might be popular. Some 8-wide windshield and nose parts could be popular if
8-wide started to take off as the "fine scale" alternative. I suspect adoption
of these new parts would be somewhat slow compared to DCC, couplers, track, • and
wheels. What the manufacturer would have to be careful of is making the parts
over specialized, and making it appear that they are going to take all the fun
out of it. I could see a few new windows/windshields being interesting. 20 new
windows would be missing the mark.

YUP.

++Lar