 Trains / Train Organizations / 743
Re: Got NMRA? (was Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, James J. Trobaugh writes:
A funny thing happened while I was reading this thread. I got a call from
the local chapter of the NMRA, the SER-Piedmont Division. They called and
asked if I would do a workshop/presentation on LEGO trains at their December
meeting. I thought that it was kind of cool that they asked. I told them to
call it "Introduction to model railroading with LEGO trains", now I just
have to put together a hour worth of presentation. At least the hands on
demo part will be easy, just dump a load of bricks on the tables and let
them build.

Nice job. Make sure you bring lots of plates and slopes and small bits, if you
just bring 2x4 bricks and some wheels they won't be impressed by what they are
able to create.

Except for boxcars, train cars just don't *use* many bricks qua bricks.

I just did a count. My "PCC" (1) has over 400 pieces (Depending on how you
count) and of that total... 20 are "regular" bricks, and only 14 are very
visible. (2) Too many plates to accurately estimate, though, and a LOT of
modified bricks (wedges, curvedtops, "headlight", slope) and plates (clips,
hinges, grills, transparents...)

1 - remember what started this thread? ... this is a song about Alice's
restaurant.

2 - 2 gray 2x4s almost buried in the steps, 2 gray 2x4s almost completely
buried in the roof, 2 red 1x2s buried behind the SNOT curvedtops, and the
visible 14: 4 1x8 and 4 1x6 red that make up most of the lower body stripe, 4
1x1s in the door pillars, and 2 1x6 lintel beams. I don't count the 2 1x1s in
trans light blue that are the fare collection box transparent container parts,
though.

++Lar