 Trains / *26415 (-100)
  Re: A present for my Dad and a 6 wide tank car.

(...) I thought the GP38 was more or less a recolor of the BNSF set... if that's correct, a copy of the set's instructions and some pics to show where the colors split ought to be enough to do your own version... (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

SNIPPIFICATION (...) Hey! *I* criticized... okay so it wasn't what you might call constructive, but then I'll put an addition. You need to open that canyon box and change that black facet on the end coach to a grey one. IMO, it isn't worth the (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A present for my Dad and a 6 wide tank car.

(...) Hi Jonathan, James Mathis has done them: (URL) Samarth (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A present for my Dad and a 6 wide tank car.

(...) Any chance of seeing instructions posted for the tank cars or the Gp38? (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

I'd love to see pics of the de-construction! And how it's packed up for transport. Thanks SteveB (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  A present for my Dad and a 6 wide tank car.

Hello all you train heads. I just wanted to show you a birthday present I gave to my Dad. His birthday was two weeks ago and I made him a custom engine in Alaskan Railroad colors. My Dad is big into HO, and all his trains are in the Alaska road. So (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Kid's Eye View Look at a Mountain

(...) Yes! Especially since the gallery and pictures are currently marked as not yet public. I wanted to see how Brian's mountain compared with the one we (NALUG) had at our last GETS show. It can be seen here: (URL) info about construction, and how (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(snip). Is this going to NMRA? (...) Ok, I was watching a show on the Canadian midwest provinces around Banff the other day. That water is blue, and an amazing one at that. Now, if you wanna argue the clear brick for water--go to Lake Tahoe. Scott (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: Layout Started

(...) Woodworker's tip and nitpick... 1)Once you've laid out your line, take a utility knife and cut into the wood along the line (both sides if your anal and want a good finish). That will help minimize the splintering that is prevalent when (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Kid's Eye View Look at a Mountain

Larry, Thank you, I will keep this in mind. Brian ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@...e.DOT.com> To: <lugnet.trains@lugnet.com> Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:03 PM Subject: Re: Kid's Eye View Look at a (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Kid's Eye View Look at a Mountain

(...) Please consider posting deeplinks ... that is, click one more time so you get a url of the form (URL) instead of something ending in gallery.cgi (as has been written about many times before, search for deep links for more info) That way (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) (URL) That appears to be on a backdrop, am I missing where the water is on the scenery? MR here in the states seems to run an article about how to do polyurethane (clear) water with fair frequency so I 'm not sure I agree with your limited (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug, FTX)

  Kid's Eye View Look at a Mountain

James, Here's that Kid's eye view I promised you: (URL) for the dark images, I need better lighting. Brian ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Wilson" <wilson_j_s@yahoo.com> To: <lugnet.trains@lugnet.com>; <lugnet.org.us.indyl...ugnet.com> (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What's the latest in DCC for LEGO?

(...) Thanks James, The DZ123 sounds like the economical choice then. Any other advice on installing these? I'm planning to remove the thermal protection disk from the motorbox, what about the surge diode? I assume anti buzzing circuits are no (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) Oh come on people, Lar was expressing his *opinion*. But Lar, I gotta say, water is painted blue on most of the layouts I've seen, scale MR or not. An example: (URL) on our M>ltc layout (URL) snow tipped mountain was only barely taller than (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) Why is a "Disneyish" bad? You make it seem that non-real world accurate scene elements are bad and should never be modelled. I like the look of a "Disneylike" exaggerated scene, maybe that's why I like the Disney parks so much. -Orion (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) Here in Colorado, we get frozen waterfalls that are blue, bright vivid gorgeous blue. It's amazing. Agreed about the snow line- better to have a patch of snow in a gulley or valley- a little tiny glacier. Beautiful work- I'm jealous! I don't (...) (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) Toylike - now I'm laughing, it is a toy! Of course it won't matter. That layout is going to rock!!! -Patrick (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: What's the latest in DCC for LEGO?

(...) Any of the xx3 gen digitrax decoders are fine. I'm using DZ123's, and the useful feature is that they incorporate overload protection. I'm using a big boy setup, but basically, you will run out of trains before you run out of control channels (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) Whereas I like trans with blue underneath or transblue, I think it looks more like water, since water is transparent. Having blue bricks underneath the transparent layer makes it look blueish but not solid. (...) Which is probably why I would (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

snipped (...) Odd you should say this. I really like the look of the blue water cascading down the mountain and the way the light reflects off the sloped bricks. It's going to take a tall, tall mountain to really justify a snow cap. Wouldn't you (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks on the mountain. To answer a few questions: I don't know if I was going for scale compression as much as I was just going for artistic expression. It does give you the impression of some distance from front to (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: Carriage roof and underframe

(...) A pretty obvious design, but I don't recall anyone doing it!. Everyone got hung up on the digger buckets (URL) As with wagons, I think steam-age carriages need to have some underframe detail, (...) The best truss rod design i have seen, will (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  What's the latest in DCC for LEGO?

A couple members of our club, the SCLTC, are investigating DCC. One member, Ted has picked up a Super Chief system from Digitrax. An I've just purchased a Zephyr system. I also picked up a DH163, and a DN123 decocoders. My gear should arrive today. (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

Brian, That's a great mountain & layout. I can see kids' eyes popping and jaws dropping. It looks like you used some scale compression on the mountain slopes to make it appear taller - is that right? Try taking some pics from a kid's approximate eye (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Carriage roof and underframe

Some design ideas for a carriage roof, trying to get those shallow curves without using slopes or stacked plates: (URL) view of the components: (URL) you 8-widers, just add 2-stud wide bricks down the middle. As with wagons, I think steam-age (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Model Railroader Magazine

(...) <snipped> (...) I have to agree. I've been too cheap to subscribe, but I'v been buying back issues for $.50 to a buck each at the local train shop. Also try train swap meets. Mat (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@...e.DOT.com> wrote in message news:IBCp8t.3Co@lugnet.com... (...) Hmm, I'm calling BS here. There is a river in Colorado with so much of a certain kind of mineral content in it that the water is indeed blue. (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) It's big, it's cool, and there's lots to like. The roadway and parking lot, for example are really neat. Always glad to see people building mountains. Spotlighted! I have a couple of bones to pick though... Water isn't blue. I think it's much (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) I'm sure my wife can empathise with that! Our dining table is covered with Lego. I was building 48x48 modules on the table but fitting them together takes up the whole table! It is better to have a large flat surface for building on the big (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug, FTX)

  Model Railroader Magazine

Hi All, I am so excited about Model Railroader Magazine that I had to post this!(1) I know it sound a bit corny but the amount of high quality color photos of both trains and scenes has really increased in the last year. I find myself constantly (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) I agree awesome work, highlighted for sure. My biggest problem with large scluptured modules is not where to store them but having the room to build them. My LEGO room isn't big enough for me to keep a few modules setup over a long period of (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug, FTX)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

Hi Brian, Awesome, awesome! Great job on this, the use of bridges and retaining walls, etc... I love how we (L-gaugers) are getting more and more sophisticated about our layouts. Of course we all know that GMLTC has been sculpting layouts for ever (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug, FTX)

  Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

(...) I really like the multiple levels. I think train displays have continuously become larger and larger on two dimensions, but adding height (apart from really tall buildings) is something that we should all aim for. Having built mountains and (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug)

  Re: Layout Started

Some simple model railraoding techniques might offer some depth. Perhaps a blue gradient staring at about 12" above the table top, to about 36" above the table (depending how high the tallest buildings are). Since its already light blue, get some (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals

Here's a sneak peek at the mountain module I'm making for IndyLUG/Central Indiana LTC's display at this years Children's & Parents Expo Feb 19,20 & 21 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. There are three train loops and the lower two can run (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug) !!

  Re: Layout Started

Updates to the layout. Painting was nearly wrapped up this weekend and by Tuesday evening I was asked to start getting my old Lego sets out of the closest. (URL) not completely happy with the configuration. Base plates and track are fighting for (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  First LEGO 8 wide train

I have read many messages regarding that LEGO trains should be build 6 wide or 8 wide. We all know LEGO choose to create their trains 6 wide. 8 wide we have to design ourselves. But browsing through old LEGO ideabooks I found this picture of what I (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  New Parts Drawings - Plates, Slope, Track Pieces

I wish TLC would make these parts. Seeing earlier discussions I think I'm not alone! I've attempted 3rd angle projection drawings, showing top, side and underside, despite not having a drawing package. Drawing these parts in Paint is eyestrain city! (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, FTX) !!

  Re: To the owner of the Train à Grande Vitesse...

(...) Thanks for the info. Do you have an email contact for him, or could you have him email me. I would like to talk TGV's with him. I have been working on a TGV myself for the last 7 years and would like to know more about his model. My TGV can be (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: To the owner of the Train à Grande Vitesse...

(...) He is a FreeLUG (French LUG) member. His name is Xavier VIALLEFONT and you can see other picture in his FreeLUG's Gallery : (URL) regards, -- BERGAMO Jean-Louis <jlb@freelug.org> (URL) FREnch Enthusiast LEGO User Group Association de (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  To the owner of the Train à Grande Vitesse...

Your lights are on. ;) Hello all, I came across this excellent model of the French TGV and wanted to know who the owner is. His/Her? Brickshelf name is Vroum. (URL) for any help. Dave GPLR (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) Thanks Steve! I'd come in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a prior committment... MichLUG has a show that weekend so the consist will get some run time then. I may not get to SEE it though as I will be in NYC. (...) I think smack is not (...) (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Red Caboose Mods

(...) Oh, no complaints here, I love the inside. Just had to point out a dichotomy. I should know better, though... I once rode an Italian train with plush leather seats (aged but well-cared for), that also had careful patches applied around small (...) (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  [Press Release] BayLTC at Cow Palace GATS

For Immediate Release Contact: Russell Clark rclark@telis.org 408.605.5412 (cell) SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CA - The Bay Area LEGO Train Club (BayLTC) is pleased to announce that we will be displayingat the Great American Train Show in San Francisco. (...) (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sac, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.org.us.sacbb, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Red Caboose Mods

(...) Wood, coal and oil stoves were used in some crummies till the very end of their life... that was usually just before the dawn of personal computers but so what... I put a computer in my 1937 Super Chief (in the dome, even though the SC didn't (...) (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) Not completely mine! lots of ideas from others there. (...) Cool. I could never get the builder to email me so I had to guess. But at 6 wide the trucks must stick out quite a bit. I had a version copied and I just didn't like how much bulge (...) (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Red Caboose Mods

(...) I like the interior - but it looks kind of like you've got a wood stove next to a computer. 19th Century meets 21st Century? Kelly (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Red Caboose Mods

"Steven Barile" <sebarile@sstanamera.com> wrote in message news:IB7DG7.yHL@lugnet.com... (...) Add some *real* mods (like lights) and you're gold... But seriously, still lookin great! Rob Make more!!! (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) Hi Larry, I love the trucks of your Santa Fe coaches most- in fact a very cool invention! But please let me correct you in one point: Bruno's (=legocastle's) cars are not 8-wide. Those are definitely 6-wide and have been running at the (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Red Caboose Mods

Hi All, I made some modifications to the Red Caboose that I posted last week ((URL)). I made 3 mods: 1) Added interior. 2) Removable roof. 3) Changed the porch. At the bottom are pics: (URL) I am espcially looking for comments on the porch mod... (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

Great work Larry! Dito on everyone else's compliments! I'd love to see this one in real life. We got a GATS show on Feb 19th-20th if your looking for some long rails! Come on out and give it a spin in the Pacific Northwest! It's six wide friendly (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) er no, I mean 10025 and apparently that's an endemic error, it's in all my MOCpages stuff too (and the folder description on BL and etc...).... sigh. Sloppy sloppy. Chalk it up to excitement. For the record, no Bionicle parts were used in the (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) Further proof that Lar's footnotes are spreading like the bubonic plague :-P Legoswami Samarth (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

...doesh... (1 Jeroen 1) sound of jaw dropping on floor (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ALCo and EMD

SNIPPIFICATION If you have the time to kill, the inclination and the patience, one of our members just uploaded the full article that details everything about this baby. It's 6 pages long; Just keep clicking next. (URL) Samarth (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

In lugnet.announce.moc, Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> Hey Larry! Did you really mean <set:10023>? I know it could use a rework, but sheesh... Click the link and you'll understand what I mean [1]. -Duane 1 - I know you like footnotes. (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ALCo and EMD

(...) The unit is a completely (brand) new diesel that uses tech from both EMD and ALCo. (...) No, Broad (5 ft 6"). Meter guage is being phased out gradually. Only a few pockets remain now. ALCo stuff? more like *only* ALCo stuff. Well, actually (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) Excellent work! Can't believe you can get the interior so right too! Most of my loco's are solid to the core. Stops them changing into a kit of parts when they accidently make it off the track and hit the floor. So what do I have to do to (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

(...) I've had the privilege of seeing some of the cars in person and they rock. Can't wait to see the engine in the flesh. -Tim (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

big Snippy ;-) It looks very good, very good. First impressions, its a very coherent design and looks bigger than it is (as I mentioned on Brickish). The truck design is nice, those are sections of technic ribbed hose for the springs? I like the (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ALCo and EMD

(...) What do you mean by that exactly, does ILW have licenses for stuff from both builders and uses some tech each way, or was this unit a rebuild? It's not unheard of to hear of RS-lls or FAs that got their 244s pulled and replaced with 567s or (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF Super Chief Project

LOVE the new trucks (although as a European, cars without buffers just don't look 'right' :P ) , specially how you mimicked the springs, using another color to accent them even more. Will definately look into that in a next MOC. Also interior detail (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: What's the official status of L Gauge?

(...) Where did you hear that? It would be cool if true, and it's a fascinating rumor even if not. (...) hehe, that would be funny! (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  What's the official status of L Gauge?

I've heard it said that NMRA adopted L-Gauge as it's first new gauge in 30 years, but a quick search through nmra.org turns up no references. What's the scoop? (If that statement were true, it would be nice to start haranging all the manufacturers (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  ATSF Super Chief Project

People that know me well, know that as a railfan I have been a fan of ATSF since I could spell it, almost 40 years ago. And I've been an Alco fan almost as long. When LEGO brought out 10020 I was overjoyed to see a warbonnet set, but I knew that as (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains) !!

  ALCo and EMD

It's been too quiet in here lately, so I thought I'd dig something up. This one's for all the fans of the rivalry between EMD and ALCo. It's ironic that the two have been blended into one another by our guys. Check it out: (URL) is the WDM-3D class, (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New BNSF logo available for download*

(...) John, I dislike the color shade you used in your logo(1), although I agree with it completely. I think the new "lightning bolt" logo should be called a "wedge"... Scott Lyttle (1) JOKE!!! (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Without stepping on anyone's toes, I think the fact that the individual interests of trainheads themselves- within the trainhead (read .trains) community itself, differs. Afterall, interest in railroading (or any subject for that matter) (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

(...) JB- Clearly if they are just for RFI, then that's not a DCC problem. Thanks. -Ted (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Snip (...) Atually, from what I remember of the movies we watched @ school, the air exchange can run up to about 98% clean air in a loop type arrangement. That's using something like 200% excess air in order to clear the cylinder of combustion (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

(...) Hi ! The devices you are referring to are RFI suppressors. They are simply little blocks of ferrite surrounding the wire to add a miniscule (a few hundred nanohenries at most) amount of inductance to the wire so high frequency doesn't get (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) The big advantage of a OP engine is that you get good scavange air flow via the two ends of the cylinder being open at the same time. So, yes, it is in some ways more complex (timing gears between crankshafts, rather than valves), in other (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: any update on plans for Cincinnati in July?

(...) It's DEFINITELY happening. And it's going to ROCK! Are you on the ILTCO NMRA mailing list? All attending clubs should have a coordinator on that list, that's where a lot of this info has been propagated. Paul Janssen may well post some status (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  any update on plans for Cincinnati in July?

I've got club members trying to plan vacations, and we're curious as to dates, hotels, etc... Any confirmed plans, yet? Thanks, we're looking forward to seeing a LOT of you there! JohnG, GMLTC (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Oh ya, no doubt. I think one of the reasons for this whacky two piston, one cylinder, central combustion chamber arrangement is that in an exhaust port system, with the proper amount of lag between cylinders, you can arrange the exhaust to (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) They are probibly a lot more efficent when whey do have exhaust vales. A basic two stroke doesn't clear the cylinder of exhaust very efficiently. By opening the top of the cylinder through exhaust valves the rush of intake air will definitly (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

(...) Are these inductors or chokes? In other RF interference suppression applications I had understood that there was no connection, just that the wire was routed through. There would still be some coupling (and back EMF?) though... Sorry I don't (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  LEGO train wire inductors and DCC

Anyone know the value of the inductors molded into the LEGO track connector wires? Considering the recommendations against (parallel wired) capacitors on the inputs to DCC decoders, then (seried wired) inductors would create a similar problem (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Well now I'll display MY ignorance... I know that a lot of 2 cycle engines are valveless but I did not think it was mandatory that they not have exhaust valves. Anyway, I am pretty sure the FM is 2 cycle, I think the Alco 244 was (but too lazy (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Nuts. I did travers the thread through your post, but I missed that link completely. I wasn't until Larry's post that the engine consept hit me. I did backtrack, but I missed the link the second time though. Now I want to build one of these. (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Sorry Larry, I've had far too many M&Ms today. And I just can't stop eating them. My question was in fact was serious. I didn't understand how an engine could have two cylenders share the same combustion chamber. I realized after that I asked (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Interesting, I didn't know that. I don't know about the mechanical merits/demerits of opposed pistons I suspect they have higher maintenance requirments that a conventional piston singal piston design. I also suspect that the FM application (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Coincidental. (...) I'm thinking of taking it up too. Legoswami Samarth (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Ironically (1) that's exactly the same link as I gave in my post, it was just hidden by the ftx! Tim (1) OK, its probably not ironic, probably some other word (2) (2) I'm getting into this footnoting thing (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Is *that* what it was, I thought you were baiting with that pejorative term... (1). But more importantly, what are you babbling about? I *know* what the engine term is. So does Tim. This is lugnet.trains after all, so why should I google for (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Ok after giving Larry farfignuten for not Googling something I figured I should Google it myself. Not an easy find, but is this the kind of thing you're taking about? (URL) never seen an engine design like that before. Very odd. Derek (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) (snip) (...) (URL) page 60 or (URL) those last ones for best results) Those same engines were used in the FM TrainMaster diesels... Ironically, FM also now has the replacement/maint parts license for Alco/GE diesels... But... you're kidding (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) What the Larry Pieniazek Bobble Head Doll is that? Derek (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Another Turtle Creek MOC (the mine building)

(...) Well, now you are just showing off :) Just having fun with you. Nice building. Chris (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Junction, Petticoat Junction!

(...) Larry, You got me thinking - I always thought Green Acres came first, but then I found (URL) - a great page that details the "Hooterville Trilogy" (take that George Lucas!): The Beverly Hillbillies (1962-1971) Petticoat Junction (1963-1970) (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Fairbanks Morse diesel locoomotives used a very successful opposed piston (1) diesel engine first developed for us in US Navy subs. (URL) - two pistons sharing a common combustion chamber per cylinder, IIRC... (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

Snip (...) A lot of the British diesel designs of the 50's and 60's had the nose, which is probably their most distinctive design element. As well as the (URL) Deltic> (class 55) and 37, the classes (URL), (URL) 44>, (URL) 45>, and (URL) 46> also (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New BNSF logo available for download*

(...) Yikes. Let's not go there! :-) (...) Well, it was more of a joke. I couldn't care less what BNSF does, so I wouldn't care enough to spoof them. If I didn't really like it, I'd use older decals (incorrectly) on their modern engines. That would (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New BNSF logo available for download*

(...) Well that's lovely. Reminds me of (URL) this>. Wonder what it'd look like on an MOC. It'd be the centre of attention at shows. Legoswami Samarth (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New BNSF logo available for download*

(...) Ha ha! Nice summation. Note that the pedant in me (1)(2) is forced to chime in with "you left out a trailing double quote there somewhere!". XFUT off-topic.fun 1 - or the pe*N*dant in you, if I were you. But of course I am not you! 2 - This (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  New BNSF logo available for download*

Find it (URL) HERE> *beware of possible artistic license having been taken;-) JOHN (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Junction, Petticoat Junction!

(...) (URL) Oh yeah, that's the stuff :) (...) Of course, the train ran between Hooterville and Pixley. Don't forget that Benji the dog got his start on PJ as well. (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Thats quite cryptic... but I assume it has something to do with your 'wire routing' post. Legoswami Samarth (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) A very poor rendition when viewed at this remove (although it did have the long nose)... it is ironic that you mention that at this time. (and that's all I will say) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact